Can you ever love another Lab as much after you have lost a very special one???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you ever love another Lab as much after you have lost a very special one????

georgie is offline Senior Member

I understand your feelings. When we lost our first lab, Shadow, to leukemia at 9 1/2, I said "no more.' My heart was broken. But after several months of silence & not having that black face looking out the window when I came home from work.....I started to look for another lab. Shadow was such a good dog. I felt I would never feel the same way about another one. I worried if I could love another lab like I did her.

We got Molly. She had a different personality, but was the same sweet, good natured lab. She was always there to greet me when I came home from work. The love came. I think our hearts just get bigger with love. Shadow will always be in my heart, but I found I could love another just as much.

We then got Abby and two years ago we added Kate to the family. We just lost Molly to lymphoma, at the young age of 8 1/2, this past May. Even though we had two others at home, my heart broke again. I now realize that no matter how much my heart breaks when they have to leave us, I would not have given up the years I had with them. What they taught me & the unconditional love they gave us, the memories I have, will always be with me.

We can never replace the them, we just open our hearts to another.
    Last edited by georgie; 08-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your loss. I undeerstand.
    When I lost Kassa to jaw cancer I knew I could never love another dog like that again. She was my soul mate, my companion. The black girl I didn't want was everything I could wish for. My heart dog.

I adopted her litter mate Ernie a few months after she died. He was untrained, and all I could think you look like my Kassy, but you are not and I want her back.
    A year or so ago someone said Kass will always be your favourite...I had to stop and think..I don't know..Today I know. Erns is my heart dog too. He isn't Kass..he is Ernie and I know the day I have to make that horrible phone call I will be devesated. I can't imagine life without him.

I recently rescued Tessa and I have another heart dog.

Three Labs and 3 heart dogs.
    Yes you can love others. Each and every one is different. Each make you laugh, melt your heart, want to pull your hair out, make you sick with worry, but best of all the love they bring.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I had my little Annie beagle/GSD mix for 15 yrs she was always with me, told her all my hopes and dreams. Whispered my fears and cried tears on her soft velvet ears. When she passed away I said never again. Never say never. 6 months later friends of ours called about a stray they found and needed a place to stay for the night. That was Bailey our wild child he has been with us for 11 yrs now, his fuzzy out of control self opened my heart to love again. Before he turned a year old we adopted Coleman my sweet big beautiful gentleman. A year later we adopted Tootsie my baby girl and our little social butterfly, then Sarah her actions reminds me of Coleman at times, she is so smart and willing to please and Ginger sweet little bug that flies around keeping everyone on their toes.

It has been different with my kids I have today I love each and everyone of them with all my heart but I saved a special part just for Annie she will always be the only one I tell my secrets too.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I lost Kelly in 1995. I love my Labs since, but no I do not love them the same way as I loved Kelly. Jakey comes close and so does Raven, but they and the others can never take her place in my heart, nor do I want them to.

Laura

yellowmom is offline Senior Member

Although Chester is our first lab, we had a golden before him. Noah was our entire family's heart dog. I can't even begin to tell you how hard it was to lose him last January. I just could not get another golden this time as I felt I would always thing of Noah when looking into our new pup's face. We looked for the right lab/breeder for months.

Then along came Chester. He is very, very different from Noah, but already becoming 'my' dog as our kids are both grown. Already I can't imagine being without him.

Chester & his mom (Noah and Marmie, forever in my heart)

Dad of Four is offline Member

Can you love a Lab again? Yes you can. Each Lab has it's own unique "lovable" quality you just have to accept them for what they have to offer you and not compair them to your lost companion. If you start to compair them to your long lost companion they will probably never measure up to your expectations. They will always love you and be loyal.
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Fender2011 is offline Member

We lost our 13.5 year old female black lab Chelsea on Father's Day this year - it was the hardest thing this family has done - the tears that were cried by my husband, son and I during and afterward were unreal. I work from home and Chelsea was my business partner and always with me, the emptiness was heart wrenching. The house just wasn't the same for any of us. Both my husband and I said never again. My wonderful 17 year old son has a way of getting what he wants though and before I knew it one thing led to another and on July 1st this year we brought home a crazy eight week old male chocolate lab. It was the best thing we ever did. The house is full of labness again. Will he replace Chelsea; definitely not, but at the same time Chelsea could never replace him either. Both so entirely different dogs however I love them both so much. In a year or so I think I will look for a yellow sister for Fender. I found this quote on someone's signature and it is printed out and on my fridge - it seems quite appropriate here.

It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are. ~Cheryl Zuccaro

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

You can´t replace them, ever... Brownie was a very very special dog and I have never seen a dog love me so much (not that all of my other dogs do not love me, but she was just unbelievably velcro).

But Labs being Labs will always find the way to our hearts, they are just incredible dogs.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

I too have lost my heart dog, my Golden. We already had Sadie(yellow Lab) when this happened and we love her so much also, she is really DH heart dog.
    Then along came Toby(yellow Lab mix). We all love him so much and he is a total goofball and he is a lover and a hugger.. which we never had before. He crawls up into my lap and when I am in bed he lays right next to me with his leg across me and his nose in my ear!!

dweck is offline Senior Member

See avatar.

See siggy.

Know that the answer is YES.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12