I think I need to change food... questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I need to change food... questions

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think I need to change food... questions

Ok I'm posting this here just because the chat gets more traffic...

Emmett has always been on Blue buffalo... He did fine on the puppy food, then he started having really loose stools. Went to the vet he checked out fine, she told us to switch to dog food that it was probably the puppy formula and she gave us some Purina Forti Flora. So we switched and gave him the Forti Flora and he was doing better. The Forti Flora was just for 30 days and he did ok for a bit after that but now I was noticing that his stools are runny again.

I've read about adding pumkin to his food... but really shouldn't that just be a band aid until you can figure out what's wrong?

His energy and behavior are great, he eats no problem... I just feel so bad for the guy.

So questions... Should I try a different "flavor" of the Blue... Right now he gets Chicken and Brown Rice. Should I try the Lamb or Fish?
    Should I just switch him to another brand all together?

I talked to the "Mom" of one of his litter mates and he's doing great on Blue... I've never had this problem before. My other dogs always ate Iams and did awesome on it, I didn't realize how much the dog food market had exploded until we got Emmett. I'm so confused...
    Amy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

Do you think he might have Giardia?
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Scoobiedoo is offline Junior Member

Maybe a problem with Chicken? I would try the Lamb or fish. I'm not that familiar with Blue. Is the protein level really high?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Blue Buffalo so I would suggest you try something other than the Chicken and Brown Rice. You could try the Fish and Sweet Potato or the Fish and Oatmeal and see how that works out.

One other thing to double check is if you have switched to any new training treats, bones, or other non-mealtime additions to his diet. It really doesn't take much to loosen things up...

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Alot of dogs cannot tolerate Blue because of the richness.
    First, if he's doing well on Blue in general, I would switch to a different flavor, a different protein, like lamb. I have read (but don't know how true it is) that out of all the food allergies that dogs have, 70% of those allergies are chicken intolerance.
    If he's still having runny stools after that then I would switch brands.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have used pumpkin twice with Sophie....it seems to level things out...Both times after giving her a couple spoonfulls, she was normal the next day. I did switch from Purina 1 to Iames puppy since we got her. The Purina 1 gave her orangy-loose stools.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

maybe you are feeding too much, sometimes just a wee bit less food makes a difference.

also, are you using treats? Sometimes those are the cause. or if he is getting into something.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

labby is offline Senior Member

I was never able to get decent stools on my dogs with Blue. I won't feed anything except ProPlan anymore. Great stools and never any problems.

Laura

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies... We picked up the Lamb and Rice Blue and we'll see how he does on that. I'm fairly certain he hasn't gotten into anything and I'm going to watch the treats. If we switch from Blue it's going to be ProPlan. I did notice that the Lamb and Fish Blue's have 2% less crude protein (not that I'm real clear on reading the labels of dog food)

Also He gets 3 cups 3 x a day.. that didn't seem to be the problem. We did try to put him to two feedings instead of three and that didn't work out.
    Amy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

he gets three cups Total a day (so 1 cup at each feeding) or he is getting a total of 9 cups a day (3 cups per feeding)?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast