Best type of exercise

Thread: Best type of exercise

ericb is offline Junior Member

DefaultBest type of exercise

So my vet said that I should see that Ronnie gets about 3 hours of walking in a day.. Thats a lot if your working full time... I like to give him as much exercise as possible though. Our Golden we used to have went running with my parents everyday (they are both hardcore runners, especially back in those days) Harley (our Golden at the time) never had any health problems or joint problems. He was really muscular and built a thick chest from all the running. I go running with Ronnie sometimes, but I find short bursts of energy like sprints to fetch a ball for example better than taking him for long runs. I also take him to the lake as often as I can so he can go swimming or play tug of war with him in the garage.. What do you guys think? How do you keep your labs fit and healthy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how old is your pup? three hours of exercise is alot, especially just a walk.

your list is good, swimming is the best for their body (less impact). fetching is good. playing with other dogs (for the dogs that enjoy that) is a great way to tire a dog out quickly. I would never do JUST walking unless a dog was older and that is all the wanted, I like to mix walks, fetch, play, etc.

there is also brain/mental exercise, training sessions, games, toys that works well to tire them out in a different way.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Swimming is one of the best the best exercises you can utilize, especially if you incorporate a fetch activity along with it.

It's amazing how easy it becomes to make a few extra stops to let your dog have a run in a field you may pass by when they are with you but if they are at home and a special trip has to be made to let them have exercise then time becomes much more of an issue. So we always just take our boys with us whenever we are out and about, they are only too happy to take advantage of that time with us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I think Ronnie is about to turn two years old.

You have a good list of how to exercise your dog. How long you exercise will of course depend on the intensity. I do the fetching routine with my kids to exercise, both on land and in water. I am fortunate enough to have enough room to do dummy launcher work (a device that launches a dummy up to 100 yards...send the dog after 15-20 of those and you end up with a tired dog! Especially if in the water).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

ericb is offline Junior Member

yep, Ronnie will be 2 in September.. Yeah, here in Switzerland people take their dogs on really long walks.. I find it kind of a waste of time.. Swimming really is great, I like to make it into a fetch game as well.. I always make sure I have a tennis ball or somethin in the car with me...

Belles mom: that dummy work stuff sounds great. What is it like a machine that launches something?

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

With Dio, we walk for 30-40 minutes (run/walk) and fetch for 20-30 minutes. If time allows we do it twice in a day. On weekends we go to the river or to a lake and he fetches there. In winter he fetches in deep snow, which really tires him out!! Dio is 2 as well, so close in age to your pup.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Belles mom: that dummy work stuff sounds great. What is it like a machine that launches something?
    Yup, the link i tried posting is not working, will try later.....
    Last edited by Belles mom; 08-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    yep, Ronnie will be 2 in September.. Yeah, here in Switzerland people take their dogs on really long walks.. I find it kind of a waste of time.. Swimming really is great, I like to make it into a fetch game as well.. I always make sure I have a tennis ball or somethin in the car with me...

I like taking long walks, I can be out for 2-3 hours with the dogs, but not everyday and we usually stop at a store or two, maybe the dog park. Or a two hour hike in the woods once in awhile. we do hour long walks most days though, works for me.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

With all the activities you mention it sounds like he will get enough. 3 hours of daily walks sounds exagerated, but I don´t know if he is THAT hyper... I think that a one hour walk combined with fetch and chasing time (this is more for fun of you both, the time doesn´t matter at all), combined with swimming, is more than plenty... If I was your Lab I would be happy LOL