New dog owner going camping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog owner going camping

Dentalmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew dog owner going camping

I am a new dog owner and loving it! We adopted Jack, a 1 year old yellow lab. He was a rescued dog and we are so happy to have him with us!
    We have only had him for a week and are playing a trip camping next weekend (tent trailer) and was looking for any advice, hints or tricks to help our camping trip go smoothly with our new family member.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

first and foremost, find out if the camp ground is dog friendly, how dog friendly and were dogs are allowed. where you can exercise.

as a foster parent - i would say that is abit too fast to bring a new dog camping. did you get him from a shelter/SPCA or a rescue with foster homes?

be prepared for lots of potential barking, possibly trying to get at random animals. bring a long line and DO NOT LET HIM OFFLEASH. Use the long line to give him more room but do not leave him offleash at any time.

how is he with people (strangers?) how is he with other dogs? how well do you know the dog? The first week a dog is wtih you they are still in "getting a lay of the land" mode. they often start to show more of their true colors after a week or two (sometimes longer depending on the dog).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We adopted him from a rescue organization with a foster family.
    He doesn't bark much and LOVES people. He is a very friendly dog!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

have you had him around other dogs? (will there be other dogs at the camp?)

We will just be camping with your 2 children (12 and 7).
    We is really good around other dogs.

sounds good. just keep an eye on him in the new environment. coming from a foster home you have more background then if he came from a shelter so that's cool

also - thank you for rescuing

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bring lots of toys! And poop bags. Maybe Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction to something.
    How far will you be traveling? Is he good in the car?

I was a bit nervous about taking Bean on his first camping (RV) trip this summer, but he was great. Normally he has free run of the house at night, but he LOVED sleeping in his crate outside our trailer. I tied him up with a 20-ft cable during the day. His favorite spot for the week was under the trailer, since it was super hot and humid. He was better-behaved than he is at home .

Have fun! I bet your kids are soo happy to have a new dog!

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Check if the campground requires paperwork for your dog. Some of the ones we traveled to, required us to show them updated vaccine records, rabies and dog license.

I second the benadryl, just in case. Of course a tie out rope/cable, leash, poop bags, food, treats. We also have one of those bandannas that you soak for 20 minutes and it keeps her cool, doggy bug spray, toys.

Have fun and good luck.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    be prepared for lots of potential barking, possibly trying to get at random animals. bring a long line and DO NOT LET HIM OFFLEASH. Use the long line to give him more room but do not leave him offleash at any time.
    I can't agree with that more! You will not have bonded well enough or have a solid enough recall to get him back if he decides to follow a scent or chase an animal. Save yourself heartache and your dog possible injury and make sure he is secure at all times.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    I can't agree with that more! You will not have bonded well enough or have a solid enough recall to get him back if he decides to follow a scent or chase an animal. Save yourself heartache and your dog possible injury and make sure he is secure at all times.
    Can't emphasize this enough - if he gets away from you he may be gone for good. I had a friend lose his Chow in the forest when the dog took off after a deer and he was never found.

Make sure that the collar cannot be pulled off over his head - of it can (as some of these Labs have large diameter necks) get a harness for him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast