I Am Shocked By the Dawg's Food Rating (IAM's)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Shocked By the Dawg's Food Rating (IAM's)

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultI Am Shocked By the Dawg's Food Rating (IAM's)

Cappy has been on Iam's for 12+ years. Remi will be 7 next month and she too has been fed Iam's exclusively. Our existing vet and the research I did back in 1999 when Cappy joined our family, gave IAM's Large Breed a top rating. Several additional studies I've seen over the years has reinforced that finding. The dawg's vets have always given me the nod of approval on Iam's. Then ... my bubble was burst when I saw this site this morning! Iam's has a LOW rating ... 2 out of 5. Trying to determine just how independent and reliable the data really is now.

Dog Food Reviews by Brand

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think the easiest way to go is research what makes a good ingredient in dog food, and what makes a bad one, and go from there, finding a brand that lists good ingredients in their food. Thats really the most unbiased way to go about it because you pull from unbiased sources (for the most part) that way.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

that review says the chicken soup we feed is 4 out of 5 stars .............that makes me feel pretty good.............nice to know I do something right for my babies

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I looked at this website last month and I am so confused now about what is best.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

My vet always said if your dog is doing well on his/her current food, don't rock the boat.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Dog food is so confusing....I did what Kate recommended. Researched good ingredients/bad ingredients, what ingredients I wanted, protein sources, carbs, etc...then looked for foods that best met my list.
    Incidentally, all the foods I found and now feed are rated 5 out of 5 stars.

Iams isn't a terrible food, it's not a great food. It's a good middle of the road food that many people feed and that many dogs do well on.
    As long as your dogs do well on Iams, that's what matters.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I didn't think that it would show the dog food that I use - Burns, but it did and gave it three stars.

It stated that the main thing missing from this is the meat content but as I supplement the dried food with 200grammes of meat and gravy per day I will keep using it as I've never seen a food to keep the pupe as slim as they are now.

Swamplily is offline Senior Member

We scored a 4 with Avoderm Natural Dogfood (Dry). I have seen a wonderful change in Abby's coat since we switched over a year ago. We use the Chicken and Brown Rice
    Abby, Blk Lab, born 12-15-05
    Taco, Beagle, gotcha 1-15-09
    Ernie - Y-Farms Honest Ernesto, CGC, Blk Lab, born 10-4-09

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup.

Back in the day, when I got Rhys in 2001, I fed him Dog Chow. Now I am struggling to justify feeding my new puppy ProPlan, which is what her breeder recommended and what I previously fed.

If your dogs are doing well on it, be grateful. If they're not, research at bit and try to do better.

I will note, you'll be surprised what a better food can do for your dogs. I am shocked every time I see Ruby play. She never played on ProPlan, just didn't have the energy or stamina. I've seen a 180 degree behavior change in her with going to a better food.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

We had changed over to Blue Buffalo not too long ago and that site rates the Blue Buffalo Wilderness a 5 which makes us pretty happy. We used to feed Moxie Iams Healthy Naturals (rated a 3) for several years and he did very well with that food. That said the site overall looks like they do their homework, it doesn't appear that they endorse one brand over another and that their reviews are fairly complete. While I always prefer to have 2 sources for things researched online I would certainly use this site as one of them.

3 Stars for Iams is better than the average kibble, if it works for your dog I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Mark_J; 08-16-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast