Help...Infected Anal Glands? Bum bleeding.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...Infected Anal Glands? Bum bleeding.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

ExclamationHelp...Infected Anal Glands? Bum bleeding.

I booked Diesel for an appointment (new vet) tomorrow at 2pm because he has been doing the bum scoot again. He had his glands expressed in July & the vet said they were VERY full. I find I have to take him every 6 months or so... first, is that normal? How often should they be expressed?

Well, now I wonder if they are infected. His anus was swollen & looked kind of bruised this morning. He just dragged on the carpet & went running out to the kitchen & did a quick sit down. I just looked at his bum & there is blood now, kind of oozing, skin looks raw.

Are we ok to wait til our appointment tomorrow? And anything I can do/give to help relieve him until then? For the rawness, itch (?), bleeding. I've got him in his crate for now to stop him from dragging his bum along rough surfaces like the carpet.

***UPDATE in post 21***
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 08-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I thought that I'd offer my sympathies to poor Diesel. Sounds very painful! Dio expressed his anal glands last week (what a smell!) but they haven't bothered him since. Please let me know though!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I know nothing about it but wanted to say, "Poor Diesel!!" I have never had to worry about it. Is this a problem seen more in males?
    I hope he gets relief tomorrow. Maybe step up his anal glands maintenance to every 3-4 months???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Some dogs have thicker "stuff" in their glands than others. One of my beagles has to have his gland expressed every three months or so (when he starts licking his bottom). My friends Basset has "stuff" the vet described as the consistancy of toothpaste and also has to go in periodically to get his bottom squeezed.

I hope Diesel is feeling better soon

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Tristan actually ruptured one gland - was a horrible mess. You might want to talk to the vet about diet changes - I know a number of dogs that get added fiber in order to help with anal gland issues.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for poor Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    I know nothing about it but wanted to say, "Poor Diesel!!" I have never had to worry about it. Is this a problem seen more in males?
    I hope he gets relief tomorrow. Maybe step up his anal glands maintenance to every 3-4 months???
    Tessa has hers done since I got her. Think they need doing again. Erns has had it done once ages ago.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the good thoughts.... poor bubba, looks like it is very uncomfortable. When he's not scooting he does a quick sit down then gives me this pained "omg" look like "mama! do sumthin!" I have no idea if he's feeling pain, if it's throbbing or itching I was going to put some vaseline on it to see if that helps but after googling it doesn't seem to be the best idea. Vaseline is a little too thick I guess & would be too goopy. I don't have any Vit E caps so I put a little bit of a natural water based lubricant on his bum in case it's the dry raw skin that is bothering him.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Poor thing! Bauer has never had his expressed (he's 3.5). I have a friend with a rat terrier, and she has to get his expressed pretty often (and he is currently on antibiotics and steroids due to an anal gland infection).

All dogs are different, but I think most express their glands themselves every time they poop . . . maybe I'm wrong. Bauer had a little stretch of runny poop when I was switching his food, and he started butt scooting. I put a little pumpkin in his food, it firmed up his poop and stopped the butt scooting immediately. Are Diesel's poops firm and normal?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

You can put a triple antibiotic ointment in the area. With Indy, his get infected from time to time and rupture. The first time it looked like a slaughter had happened when I got home and freaked out. No I know what to look for. If they are really bad, a trip to the vet with antibiotics. Usually if not so bad, he gets the triple antibiotic ointment a few times a day and I keep an eye on it. The fiber was recommended by our vet. With Indy, he's on so many narcotics he tends to get constipated. Large dogs usually are able to express the glands on their own, but some cant; Indy has no muscle tone from the left side of his rump down his leg, so that's the side he cant express on his own. The vet recommended taking them out, but at 13, its too risky of a surgery for him...and it happens maybe only once or twice a year.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

Get beter soon Diesel! Poor thing
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast