food allergy? etc follow up call from Vet
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: food allergy? etc follow up call from Vet

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

Defaultfood allergy? etc follow up call from Vet

Aver'ys Vet just called to check in on him. We brought him to the Vet twice due to ichyness, infection bumps/sores, and hair loss. He's had skin scrappings done twice to check for mange, which came back negative. The vet pescribed antibiotics and a medicated shampoo. The infection bumps have gone away however he's still itchy. Vet said the hair loss is due to the fact that his skin irritation has gotten so bad it's could be from food allergies.
    Vet suggested changing his food. Maybe a food allergy. He's been on nutra puppy version since we've gotten him. Keith went to petsmart yesterday to get the adult bag so we can start the transition to adult food. (this morning Avery was picking out the adult large kibble and spitting it out... don't think he was a huge fan of it...)
    Vet said if it is a food allergy to switch him to a OTC Lamb and potato or Venison and Potato. Or Vet has a food we can buy that is the same thing but cuts out the stuff the otc food has in it such as chicken fat or beets.... I'm not sure what to do. Do I spend the $ on the vet food or try the OTC?
    Also he suggested benadryl 2x a day he said "don't let Avery drive or operate heavy machinery" hahaha
    I just don't want him all drugged up.

Does any of your dogs have food allergies? Or pollen/mold allergies? What did you do?
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty strict with Bean's eating. Some things that bother him-chicken, grains, pork?. He started grain free per vet suggestion (flaky&itchy). Lots of the foods I tried caused diarrhea, and the chicken problem narrowed the choices. He's been great on one brand, but it's very expensive. Just bought a small bag of Natural Balance Lamb&Rice today, and will give that a try. Check dog food websites- they usually have an ingredient list, and there are quite a few OTC foods with limited ingredients.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

My sister feeds venison and potato to her allergy prone dogs. Other than that I know nothing about what works.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

You need to figure out what he's allergic to. It could be the grain in the food, which is common, or the protein. If he's been on say chicken the whole time try switching his protein to lamb. It may take a few weeks for you to start noticing a difference. I don't think it will matter if you go vet or otc food. Just remember...if it is a food allergy...this applies to cookies and treats and sometimes even flavoring in toys.

I know this may sound terrible, but I do hope it is a food allergy, because environmental allergies suck.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Cheley is offline Senior Member

Willow, my 16 month old chocolate, has a long list of food allergies. She had been scratching constantly - so much that she had bald spots on her back! At first the vet thought it was due to an infected bug bite on her back, but after treatment with antibiotics and anti-itch medication (I can't remember what it was) the infection went away, but her itching did not. The vet recommended allergy testing, which was expensive, but worth it IMO. She has a very long list of foods that she is allergic to, including: lamb, rice, chicken, yeast, tomato, green beans, potato, sweet potato, eggs, corn, peanut and soybean. Let me tell you - finding a food and treats that did not include any of those ingredients was not easy! After much research, I found 1 food and 1 brand of treats that do not include any of those ingredients. Luckily, I have a pet store in the town where I live and another in the town where I work that can order the food and they both carry the treats. I am very strict with not allowing her to have anything other than her "special" food and "special" treats and it has worked wonders! She still scratches some but not more than my other dogs, and her hair has grown back and she looks great.

Good luck! It's awful when they are so itchy and you don't know why.

~Cheley, Kendall, Sophie, and Willow

kassabella is offline Senior Member

It takes time to work out what food your dog is allergic to.
    Ernie has a food allergy.
    I was told often it is food sensitivity, but his is allergy and effects his gut (IBD)and skin. He is on prescription diet and nothing else accept the rice treats he has.I am sure it was chicken for him too.

Tessa has sensitivity/allergies. Not sure yet as still trialling. I fed chicken and she was worse. I also think for her it is corn.
    Knowing how hard it was with ERns and if he becomes allergic to this food we are stumped I learned a lesson. When I do the trial don't feed anything else. Not a crumb until it is sorted. For Erns it was 2 years before we could introduce another food.

Tessa is different, and not effecting her gut may not be as long without being so vigilant with other food.
    It is hard to see them constantly itch. Shampoos have helped Tessa.

Good luck.

ETA. Talked to the vet this afternoon and he reminded me. They can do o.k. on a food then become sensitive to it at any time. Often after a couple of years.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-15-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is it Nutro food your dog has been on? You say Nutra, but I don't find that at Petsmart.

I used to feed my dogs Nutro, but it was part of the dog food recall a couple of years ago and I switched foods then. There are quite a few choices for allergy prone dogs in the stores. I'd upgrade the food first and try something with novel ingredients (like sweet potato/fish) and give it several weeks to see if you have any improvement. If not, maybe the prescription makes sense.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It takes time and patience to find a food allergy. It may take several weeks on one food to see an effect. The local PetSmart does not have a wide variety of special food. I found a large variety at Pet Supply Plus and local pet supply stores. You may want to wait until winter to see if the itchies are seasonal. If so, a trip to an allergy/dermatology vet may be best.
    Good luck from another allergy Lab mama.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

[QUOTE=Cheley;1639826]Willow, my 16 month old chocolate, has a long list of food allergies. She had been scratching constantly - so much that she had bald spots on her back! At first the vet thought it was due to an infected bug bite on her back, but after treatment with antibiotics and anti-itch medication (I can't remember what it was) the infection went away, but her itching did not. The vet recommended allergy testing, which was expensive, but worth it IMO. She has a very long list of foods that she is allergic to, including: lamb, rice, chicken, yeast, tomato, green beans, potato, sweet potato, eggs, corn, peanut and soybean. Let me tell you - finding a food and treats that did not include any of those ingredients was not easy! After much research, I found 1 food and 1 brand of treats that do not include any of those ingredients. Luckily, I have a pet store in the town where I live and another in the town where I work that can order the food and they both carry the treats. I am very strict with not allowing her to have anything other than her "special" food and "special" treats and it has worked wonders! She still scratches some but not more than my other dogs, and her hair has grown back and she looks great.QUOTE]

That's what Avery has ^ He's got a bald spot on his neck and in between his front arms/chest area was thinning pretty bad. I know I'm probably headed down a long road to figure out which food or allergy he has. Vet said it's either protein. Funny I looked at his food this morning at it's the Nurto Max puppy Ingredients :Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Whole Wheat, Lamb Meal, Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Dried Buttermilk, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

Crazy how much is *stuff* is in there.... So I'll switch it right away!

Thanks for all the support.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I would most definitely look into a limited ingredient food, with a more exotic protein source such as venison. I'd also go grain free at this point.
    Natural Balance (sold at Petco) has a few limited ingredient foods (venison & sweet potato, bison and sweet potato)that are also grain free (not all NB LID are). Nature's Variety Instinct is also grain free and has new LID varieties that I would definitely take a look at (probably better priced than NB).

New Instinct Limited Ingredient Diets | Nature's Variety

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Allergy Formulas for Dogs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast