Puppy's First Bath
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy's First Bath

Jacks Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy's First Bath

Hi,

We are bringing our puppy home for the first time in two weeks. We are stopping by my mother-in-laws house on the way to pick up our boys. We would like the puppy to be nice and clean before we bring him over to meet the family. Not sure if they typically come form the breeder (we have what seems to be a real good one) in tip top condition , so was thinking to stop abnd give him a bath before we bring him over. Is it a bit too much to do on the first day for the poor pup! I think we would want to do it anyway and before we bring it to the Vet the next day anyway...so why not the sooner the better?

What do you think? I'm worried about traumatizing it on day one..I've heard that the first days are quite scary for the pup!

I may also post this on the Pup forum...so if you see it twice, I'm sorry. I'm new to this forum.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new pup! You must be very excited.
    You shouldn't need to bathe your pup. (In fact, labs basically never need to be bathed unless they really get into something seriously stinky like rolling around in poop or a dead fish or some other putrid rotting carcass of some sort.)

Bella

Jacks Mom is offline Junior Member

We have found when we visit the pups at the breeders (which we are quite pleased with) our hands are often quite smelly after we leave! I always want to wash them and then still they smell a bit. I understand normally they won't need to be bathed all that often...but I'm wondering what we would use for this one shot deal after we pick the pup up. When people go to the groomers - what do they use? Don't they use a shampoo on them? If the recommendation is not to shampoo all that often, but they are smelly, what do you do? Does warm water help with that alone? I've read on this site about oatmeal based shampoos. WHat do you think?

Thx for your advice!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't bath him

The kennel smell will disappear within 24 hours.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I wouldn't bath him

I agree. I am a fanatic about things smelling and know that "doggy" smell isn't nice. I found once they are home they don't smell. I loved the puppy smell. I rarely bath my dogs, so not sure what you should use on a puppy. Perhaps sponge him down might help.

Welcome and lookk forward to seeing pics.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks Mom View Post
    Hi, Is it a bit too much to do on the first day for the poor pup!
    yes on the first day 55 day or any other day. generally labs do not need regular bathing and doing so may actually harm their skin and coat. brushing will usually take care of any dirt. in the times they roll I. something a spot wash is all that is needed. remember to keep the visits to a minimum at first. you are ripping that puppy away from everything that he knows and will be traumatized. plus he's not fully immunized and exposure to other people and/or dogs could cause him to become ill. let him get used to you and your immediate family before you start showing him off

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

labs don't need to go to the groomers

Laura

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I wouldn't bath him

I agree...that smell will disappear within a day or so. Can't wait to see pic's of the little guy!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

The "breeder" puppy smell will pass, but no dog is scent free so get used to it! Personally I love the dog smell!! Don't bathe him unless as noted above he rolls in something stinky, it isn't good for their coats & skin. Groomers, are for more high maintenance dogs that require trimming etc.

As for the intro, I agree 100% with Laura/Labby, you are taking him away from all he has ever known & bringing him into your world. Get him used to YOUR scents, your immediate family that will be living with him, his new house etc before you start introducing him. It will be overwhelming enough, you want to start him off on the right foot. Diesel is my first dog I've raised by myself from a 10wk old puppy, I was astounded at the psychology behind these four legged creatures. Please consider his feelings & realize it is a big deal for him.

Include pics when you can!!

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Emmett with be 9 months in two day (OMG!!!!) He has had one bath and that was at 10-12 weeks because his older "brother" pee'd on him at midnight no less.

He's been in and out of the water all summer but no bathes... and he doesn't smell. I always brush him once he's dry.

I have noticed that he when it rains and he comes in the house he has more of that wet dog smell (that I'm not a fan of) than any of my previous dogs so I don't know if that's a Lab thing or an Emmett thing.
    Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast