Adding a second lab to the family....

Thread: Adding a second lab to the family....

jmlenn is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdding a second lab to the family....

Hi my name is Jackie and I have a five year old chocolate lab. His sister has just had a litter of nine. I am considering to get one of the pups. Anyone have a suggestion or thought on whether a boy or a girl? And if it is even a good idea..... There is also a poodle mix that currently is in the home too but he is going to be leaving the home. I am curious on adding this second pup.
    I really feel that the same breed would be a better playmate for my lab but not sure.
    Thanks, Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs of different breeds typically get along fine.

Not sure what sex the current Lab is but typically Labs get along fine with opposite or same sex (which is not always the case with some breeds). I have 2 males and they are the very best of buds.

What's the story with the poodle mix? Is he not your dog? The way you phrase his status is odd.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Toby is a boy..... Currently the poodle mix( my daughter's dog) is also a boy. The poodle terrier mix is the dominant dog. As a matter of fact, he never leaves Toby alone. Toby who is so mild natured just lets Bruno control him. My daughter is not the one who has taken care of him and I have asked that she adopt him out which Bruno is to be going to my sister. My sister who lived with me until April loves Bruno and is very attached to him and he to her, so she is going to adopt him. That allows my home to just have Toby and to continue with my original plan to get a second lab. I know this is complicated.

I would like to get a second lab and have a great opportunity to do so with Toby's sister who just had a litter. The pups are great and I really think that a lab would be better for a second dog due to already having one. I was leaning to a male again. I just want to make this a better choice than being forced into a dog that was never mine to begin with.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just wanted to supply better info.
    Thanks for reading this,
    Jackie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome.
    I understand. For years I wanted a pup, after I adopted Erns (9) but he has health issues and thought it would too much for him, or upset the balance. I loved it with him and I, but really wanted a pup or another Lab.Then Gems came for 3 months, then over the last 2.5 years spend a lot of time living here.Erns loves her as much as she loveds him. Best buddies. She is the BC in my siggy. Each time she went home he would carry her toy around. Her owners are leaving N.Z. so thought he would be lonely and by chance six weeks ago I had the chance to rescue a 5 year old chocolate girl. Tessa Gems and Erns are the best of buddies and each has their seperate needs.

My decision to get another girl is because Erns can be a bit pushy and isn't so with females.
    Neither of these 3 dogs were mine to begin with, but each I love and would walk over hot coals for.I don't think it matters the age, or breed when bringing a new one into the house. Many on here have different breeds and think it is the dogs rather than the breed.

You know your home and dogs best so what might work for me might not work for you.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Aha - thanks. Going to live with your sister sounds like a good choice for Bruno.

On the puppies - are the parents of this litter cleared for all potential inheritable health issues? I know you have a related dog, but it is a basic standard to clear via medical testing before breeding for a number of problems Labs commonly have (like hip and elbow displaysia, exercise induced collapse, heart and eye problems, CNM). I would never get a puppy from anyone who did not clear breeding stock.

And I know you did not ask about any of that - but it's always good to put it out there for consideration. Many people who have affected dogs wish they knew ahead of time about clearances.

Oh yes, both dogs were cleared. The male is an AKC English Chocolate Lab and Abbey is an AKC Standard Chocolate lab. My brother-in-law is very fussy about the male when it comes to breeding. Also, his females are always in great health. Molly the last lab(mother to Abbey and my Toby) lived to 12. She just passed away in Jan. Molly had 3 litters.

That is also why, I would like to get another lab. It would be a good dog.

Thought on boy or girl?

So they have OFA or Penn HIP scores?

I really have no preference for sex. It's really what you want - males in my experience are more affection seeking than females.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

English Labradors come from England, I think you mean the male is a bench/show line dog. Has he been shown? How about the female, any shows, obedience trails, etc?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

clearances are not a vet check to say a dog is healthy. they are ACTUAL tests run on both dogs, X-ray hips and elbows and sumit to OFA for results, test the eyes, test the heart, test the dog for EIC and CMN. again, NONE of this is done at a routine vet check-up. they are all speciazlied tests done on labs that are potentially to be bred (if they pass) or is someone has worries about their pet dog. Why do all these tests? Because unfortunately people were willy nilly breeding labs and the breed is now vulnerable to ALL these health issues. Thus in order to promote a healthier stock in the breed, it is important to ensure only dogs that are not affected or carriers of these illnesses are not bred (to avoid producing puppies that are affected). Even if a dog is otherwise healthy and a great fmaily dog, they can be affected or carriers.

Breeders should aslo compete in some venue to prove their dog prior to breeding (conformation, field, hunt, etc) to prove the dog has the intelligence, look and work ethic, etc,.

Registered by the AKC ONLY means they are pure bred lab (both parents are labs) it is NOT an indicator of quality, health or temperment.

As mentionned above, an "english" lab comes from england and he is a "bench" type if his parents, grandparents and hopefully the odg themselve compete in conformation. If not they are pet bred.

Yes I realize the above is alot of jargon and you did not ask for it.

If your boy is good with all dogs than no need to worry about "sexe" of a second dog, just go for "best fit" in personality over all. dogs of all breeds can be great friends adn play.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

wow, thank you so much for the information. It has been so helpful. I appreciate your time with my questions.