advice 7 month black lab male
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice 7 month black lab male

miguel1 is offline Junior Member

Defaultadvice 7 month black lab male

hello I have a 7 month male black lab, he is really great, me and my wife love him a lot, latley for a month he has been really hyper, we take him for walks 3 times a day and play with him fetch for 1 hour. My thought I have been feeding puppy performance from Pro Plan here in mexico it has 31% protein and 20% fat. Could the feed be a justification for his hyper ative behavior. I could change just tor Proplan large breed. thank you for the advice.

Last edited by miguel1; 08-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome. My 3 Labs have miles of energy. Erns worse. Kassa was the only one I got as a pup and sometimes we over stimulated her. Puppies do have an abundance of energy.
    Small walks a few times a day and games as well as training and mind games tired mine out. I find keeping their minds active is just as important as keeping their bodies active. I do things like which hand is the treat, or find a toy, even get my slippers.(this also stopped chewing them..source of treats..leave). I use games as a source of training as well as the obedience things.

Others will come in with a lot more advice.Many of us have had/have busy pups so quite normal.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Miguel, here is an excellent article about labs and their level of energy and behavior at given ages. I found it informative. Labrador Retriever Stages of Development | 8PawsUp Good luck, and enjoy your pup! Pam

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you seem to be giving him plenty of physical exercise - but are you working his brain? Labs are a working breed and intelligent, they need mental stimulation (fetching is great but unless you hide it he is not thinking one bit for this game).

Up your training and/or play games to work his brain.

but also, that can be a rough age no matter what!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

LOL, yah... welcome to the next couple years of your life.

I found the age between 6 months and 2.5 years to be the worst hyper-crazy-energy wise. Even then it doesn't quite abate, Baloo's 4.5 years old now and still most definitely has his "moments".

I agree with Tanya, when Baloo was that age I started competition training, and we did obedience, rally obedience and started some agility foundation. I either had to channel the crazy energy or kill him.

Have fun!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I doubt that the food is making your dog hyper. Like the others said, Labs get bored and need to learn new things all the time. I think they also need to learn how to settle down, otherwise they keep going and going!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Hola amigo, I´m from Mexico also.

Looks like the pup is getting good exercise but he is entering the "terrible teens" stage, where they suddenly realize they are very strong and athletic. Labs are energetic dogs but they do settle down (mine did at around 3 years old, though they still have good energy, even with Homer´s elbow dysplasia).

Can you take him to a place where he can run off leash? I used to take my dogs with me mountain biking in Desierto de los Leones and it was great exercise for them. Also playing with other dogs drains their energy. Does he have any friends to play with.

With regards to the food, maybe just the regular Pro-Plan will work better... at 7 months you can change it to adult food. Labs gain weight very easy so if I were you I would feed him regular food instead of performance.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I wanted to add - maybe change up the routine about and not just do the same walks (same path) and the same game of fetch in the backyard.

If he is reliable, go for offleash walks in different areas (even if you have to drive there). set up play dates with other dogs, find a dog park, if neither is a possibility well then just drive somewhere and do a different walk. A dog can get very bored with the same walks and the same game of fetch day in and day out.

Dogs playing is a great exercise - very little beats a good game of chase and/or wrestle.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

miguel1 is offline Junior Member

thank you so much for your advice, I will try to make his day to day habits much different, and challenging. I will keep posted with results. Need to read a lot about dog behavior, lot to learn.
    Last edited by miguel1; 08-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Ah...the teenage years. All the advice you have been given is great. I just wanted to add, is there any place he can swim in water. fetch in the water will tire him out. A tired lab is a good lab. Physical acitivity & mentyal stimnulation will help keep him from being bored. Have fun with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast