Need advice PLEASE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice PLEASE

dooleysmom is offline Junior Member

UnhappyNeed advice PLEASE

I need some advice. My lab, Dooley, is 5 years old. We get him shaved twice every summer by a dog groomer. We had him clipped on Saturday. His testicles (balls) are red and he is licking them alot. While at the groomer they found a few fleas on him and flea dipped him. First they shaved him, then they put the flea dip on him, waited a few minutes and then washed and dried him. He has been groomed here before and never had a bad reaction to the shampoo. I think the flea dip burnt him, but only in that one area. Is that possible? What can I do for him?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Dooley's mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

stop shaving him for starters. labs dont get shaved.

and if he has fleas, i'm wondering , do you use a monthly flea preventative?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Ouch, the poor guy! It sounds like razor burn and the dip then burned and irrated the area. What about putting bag balm on it? Whatever you put, he will lick off. Try to put it on when he is sleepy or napping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Why do you shave him? Lab's fur protects them from the elements (cold, heat, sun). Maybe due to his lack of protection he got into something, maybe razor burn? I don't know, but I wouldnt shave him again.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

He's much cooler in our hot climate when he is shaved. I say that he's shaved but it's more like a crew cut. My lad does get shaved in the hot weather. He has NEVER had a problem before this.

Yes we use frontline on him every month. He was recently around a cat that had fleas, he has never been bothered with them before so I'm guessing that's where he got them.

Why so blunt and rude? I need help not judgement. If you don't want to help then please don't reply. I'm worried about him and don't need chastised right this minute.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

You... shave your Labrador Retriever ????????
    I'm sorry... I can't think of something helpful or even snarky to say.
    I am just... astounded that you would do this.

Seamus and Flynn

bett is offline Senior Member

ok, try a shampoo with soothing oatmeal. organic if possible. frontline,as i understand it and use it too, kills the reproductive part so you can get a flea but it wont reproduce.
    i would think , whatever they used on him, is caustic and not having hair where he should, must burn like heck.
    and again, take no offense, but no matter where you live, labs have hair for a reason. it protects them.

Thanks Sophiesmama. I will try that. I don't want him to be uncomfortable. You are so kind to answer me.

He's been groomed many times in the summer and has never had a problem.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

please read up on shaving/trimming labradors. you will quickly see it is UNANIMOUS that labradors should not be shaved.If you don't believe us here, try the other lab board (Shaving my Gunther???) or just google "shaving a labrador retriever" for more info. Groomers will do ANYTHING for money - an ethical groomer would have mentionned it is not recommended to shave a labrador.

a dog's fur protects them from the sun and keeps them cool (yes, cool). to remove the fur makes them suceptible to sun burns and makes it harder for them to keep cool.

Personally I would see a vet regarding the redness in such a sensitive area.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I will add to the don't shave your lab crew by adding--their fur also prevents sunburn.
    I would try to put something soothing on his burned area--aloe or something like that.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast