Christmas tree and puppies? Looks like a disaster.... ??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas tree and puppies? Looks like a disaster.... ??

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

DefaultChristmas tree and puppies? Looks like a disaster.... ??

I was driving the other day to work and the radio station was talking about departement stores already putting up Christmas stuff. A little to early I think!!!! It had me thinking how the heck I'm going to manage getting a Christmas tree with Avery... by that time he should be a year and 2 months but I'm sure the energy level and curiosity will not subside. If I leave him outside by himself he tries to eat the bushes and flowers. Imagine if I had a huge Xmas tree inside? He'd think it's a perminant toy! I can see it now.... coming home from work and the tree is on the ground and avery has managed to rip all the orniments down. AHHHH How do I prevent this? or Should I just not even bother this year.....

How have you all managed at Christmas time? any funny stories?
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Last year Scout was around 16 or 17 weeks old when Christmas rolled around. We used a plastic play pen that unfolds into one long piece to cordon off the tree. In essence, we put a little fence up around it. Scout didn't pay it any attention at all, and when she did get curious, we sprayed the tree with Green Apple Spray to deter her. This year will be different since Scout will be over a year by Christmas. I'm curious to try her around the tree without the gate and see if we can't train her to leave it alone, but we'll just have to see.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Neither one of my girls has ever had any interest in the Christmas tree, so it has never been a problem. (Java is 2 1/2 and Moka is 2 now)
    Moka was 16 months old last Christmas and could not have cared less about the tree. Approached it, sniffed it and then left it alone. Never touched a single ornament on it. (We had a real tree too).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

I always get a real tree too. There's no better smell in the world than that!!! I just got all my Grandma's ornaments and my parents ornaments. They're super special to me and I might loose it it Avery ruined one of them.

We have a huge pine tree in our yard. Avery's newest game is to try and jump up and grab a branch. I call it trimming haha but I bet he'd do the same with the Christmas tree. Plus all the wires?!
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

MikeE is offline Senior Member

I stopped putting up a tree 5 or 6 Labs ago.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

I was worried about this same thing. this past christmas, malone was 6 months old. we put up our artificial tree and he was good. we put all and any ornaments too high for him to steal.

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

I don't think we'll ever had a Christmas tree again. The glass ornaments make me nervous.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

deidra is offline Senior Member

The first year with Tank he marked it,lol. He got in trouble and didn't do it again. Bentley was terrified of it. He came over the fear in about a day or two. They never really did any damage to it. Tank did brake an ortiment but that was my falt. I hada treat in my hand and he got so excited his tail hit an ortiment and it went flying int to the wall behind the tree,lol. It scared him for a moment then he gave me the "am I in trouble look". It was so cute and he didn't get in trouble.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I have never had a problem with any of my dogs messing with the tree. HOWEVER, I always put the good ornaments up high and the not so great ones down lower just in case. I used to have an Orange Winged Amazon parrot who LOVED the tree. If you couldn't find Snickers, he was in the tree, in the middle like he was hiding. He chewed up a couple of ornaments during his life but mostly he just loved hiding in it. The dead give-away was his little burbling noises he made when he was hiding. It was so cute. I miss that sweet ole birdie.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I have never had a problem with any of my dogs messing with the tree. HOWEVER, I always put the good ornaments up high and the not so great ones down lower just in case
    Same here...now the cat was another story

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast