Taking charge against their wills

Thread: Taking charge against their wills

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaking charge against their wills

I guess we all know what it's like to have to deny our labs something they really want to do, something that's really good for them, but then there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

The weather has been glorious here for the past several days. Since I came home early yesterday I took the boys out for extra sets of retrieves, extra long sessions, extra tricky throws for them.

Flynn is highly athletic and acrobatic in his retrieves... he leaps SO high into the air! Seamus is the racer... as large as he is he can still out-maneuver Flynn to get to the tight shots.

Today Flynnie was favoring a leg, just a little bit. I don't think he hurt it, I think he was just a bit sore from yesterday's multiple outings. So, after today's third session I had to tell them "no more for now".

It kills me to say no, especially with such pretty weather, but if I don't mind their physical limits... who will?!?

Okay... that's all. Thinking in print here, I guess.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean, Nance. Henery will swim and retrieve his bumper/dokken until he passes out from exhaustion. I took him to the lake and had to make him come out when he was starting to look tired, and made him have a mandatory rest break (with a Kong), but he just grumbled at me the whole time until I let him back in again. He didn't even eat his Kong!!

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

When Max joined us a few months ago, Abby (6) was in pretty sad shape. She would retrieve but not with any gusto. I think it had to do with losing her big brother 2 yrs. ago; nobody to compete with?

For a couple months, she was very prone to over doing it. She did have the good sense to take it easy the next time or two. She is now in pretty good shape and they both run like the wind with big smiles on their faces.

I look foward to our ball/frisbee sessions too, but winter is coming...brrrrrr.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. Abbey is the same way as Henery with her swimming - she'll go and go and go and go until she drops. It's hard, but since we're the responsible owners, we have to know when to make them stop, because if it were up to them, they never would!

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Daisy mirrors Abbey and Hen, too. We gotta enforce a little tough love every now and again I guess!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

georgie is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean. Abby & Kate would retrieve till they drop. I have to be smart & stop....because they never will.

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

I know just what you're saying. It's like saying no to a little child.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Rush and Boo are the same way. They would keep going with 4 broken legs. We have to do what's best for their well being, as hard as it is to disappoint sometimes.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Buddy would never stop, if I'd just keep throwing the ball. I have to limit his retrieves. The elbow he had surgery on for the ED has starting acting up as he ages. I hate telling him no. But, if I don't, who will?

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, I'm with you. Angus has one speed when retrieving: Full blast. All summer he has been hurting his leg or toe or something, so I have to let it rest for a few days. You're so right...if we don't stop them, who will?