Is fostering hard on your dog?

Thread: Is fostering hard on your dog?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs fostering hard on your dog?

When I was a kid, our family dog had been very playful and she got along well with other dogs. My family was living in Pennsylvania for two years on an army base where most families were only stationed for one year. So after the first year everyone else moved and a new set of dogs came in. From that point on, Molly was a different dog. It was noticeable that she missed her friends. Now I have my first dog an she is very playful. She plays at the dog park everyday for hours. She had a friend stay at the house with her the other day for two days and when she couldn't find the other dog after she was taken back, she seemed confused. She went and checked all the rooms in the house looking for her. I am worries that if I fostered she would become depressed when the other dog goes away. Does this happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't say it is hard on my Lexi, but she definitely notices when our current foster has moved on to their forever home. Depending on how long our foster is here & how much interaction they have, she will mope for a few days. We had a few who were only hear a week or so, so there was not much moping on her part. But I've had 2 that were with us for 8+ weeks (Bella was 8 weeks & most recently Ebony was her 12 weeks). I definitely noticed a bit of mopiness from her after Ebony went to her forever home.

I can tell you, she bounced back to her happy-self within a few days. In between she is storing up energy to play, play, play with the next new arrival.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I take in boarders, and training dogs. Some training dogs are here for months. My guys never seem to miss them going away. It is not often that I have just my three here anymore.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have been having GEms for over 2 years and Erns always walks around with her toy for a couple of days then settles, then she is back for a few weeks or week, and on it goes. I wondered if I ws being mean to him having her here, then gone might confuse him. He is always more alert when she is here.
    I know she misses him and think it is going to be hard for her not having a regular buddy when she goes to the US at the end of the month.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i guess it may depend on the dog.

overall there are times it can be harder on Rocky. like when they pester him to play (he isn't all that playful) or steal his bed or cuddle up to him non stop (he likes his space). with some of them I think he may like it. then you have those with issues who growl at him or scuffles ensue so I nip those in the bud. some have barked alot during teh day which was stressed him.

it takes away some of my time from him, as they need trianing and there are home visits. and with some fosters he gets no bones as I don't want to try it. he isn't into toys so that isn't an issue but if he were they would be lifted until I knew the foster was ok enough for me to bring them back into play.

he seemed confused the first few, not sure why they came and left but now he knows. he gives me a look when a new one arrives ("aww mom, not AGAIN") but rarely seems to miss them. I also dog sit so he's used to lots of back and forth. But Rocky is very laid back, chill even. nothing really bothers him too much.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    he seemed confused the first few, not sure why they came and left but now he knows. he gives me a look when a new one arrives ("aww mom, not AGAIN") but rarely seems to miss them.
    Yes, Lexi was the same way. Confused with the first few fosters & was kind of grumpy with them. Now she looks at me, "oh lord mom, what have you brought home now?"

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lexis Mom View Post
    Yes, Lexi was the same way. Confused with the first few fosters & was kind of grumpy with them. Now she looks at me, "oh lord mom, what have you brought home now?"
    LOL! glad to know I am not the only one Poor guy has even had to deal with TWO other dogs a few times this summer
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody is offline Senior Member

depends a LOT on the dog ...Sally really misses the puppies terribly
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller