Tips on Dog-Dog Behavior - New Foster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Dog-Dog Behavior - New Foster

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultTips on Dog-Dog Behavior - New Foster

So I still have Macy but a new foster arrived tonight. a 6.5 year old black lab. He is beautiful and very typical lab for the most part.

Nitrous (new foster) isn't too sure about Macy. Rocky is off in his corner hiding so no issues there haha. Macy is being polite for a puppy, some face licking adn sniffing (no over the top puppy behavior for which I completely encourage corrections). She tried to get him to play tug. But he will either respond abit (snif back, or ignore) but other times the lips go up and he snarls at her. not to hurt her but he clearly doesn't like it. And I won't say she is 100% innocent, she is guarding me (just by her body position not by growls and stuff)

He was the same at the dog park - though no reaction when dogs took his ball, he did snarl at two dogs who were just sniffing/investigating him in appropraie doggy way.

I am abit torn, he is new to my space space with two established dogs. And I am ok with a dog that doesn't want to be bothered growling to tell other dogs "leave me alone" but i hate when dogs do this to very normal and accpetable behavior.

OVerall things are fine, and it has just been a few hours. I walked all three no issues.

So - do I just let him correct? Do I correct him?

For the record - I am used to the other dog being Rocky, easy going minds his own business Rocky. I was very lucky to have Rocky, but at the same time very spoiled at having such an easy dog.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

maybe he is just ment to be at a no other dog home.? My uncles dog is a very good example. She will play/tolerate other dogs but does not love them. She is better off in a only dog home(which she is). if he was to get another dog it would not be a good situation. he is a cute dog btw.
    Sorry i am not an expert but just an idea At this time i would suggest placing him as an only dog when he finds his forever home. he may also be be just a little confused/scared.

Also with macy or the other dogs were they showing dominent postures?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

oh I think he will do best in a home with no toher dogs or one that will ignore him for hte most part but that doesn't help me at the moment

Macy sometiems is being friendly (sniff his butt, submissive licking of the face/ear) but other times her posture is likely more domiant (i.e. when she stands between me adn Nitours. At best she sends mixed signals. She wants to play with him, but he shuts her down (which is fine) then tries to make nice which he ignores. He has sniffed in return so I dont think it is hopeless.

at the park he did play a good game of chase and was good natured.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Reminds me of tank and why it took me awhile to chose another dog. he may like to be around submissive dogs so he is the dominent one. We got lucky and Bentley didn't have a care in the world all he wanted to do was play,lol.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Maybe he just needs a little time to settle in.

Bella

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad View Post
    Maybe he just needs a little time to settle in.
    That - like we always tell new puppy owners, his world has been turned upside down. I would expect him to be off-base and maybe a little guarded/cranky. This is stressful for him. I would just supervise loosely and let them work it out unless he escalates.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Do you have any background? He's 6.5 years old, isn't it odd that he'd be given up at that age? I agree that he may just need time to settle in.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

I agree 6.5 is rather old to be given up but we got Dodge at 6 and he took a few days to adjust............. we had lots of domince humping for the first couple of days then settled in beautifully

things are ok today. I think I was just abit overwhelmed yesterday and not used to dealing with a new foster with two other dogs (usually if I bring in a third they are pretty well adjusted). I was started because macy rarely cries out and she did three times last night (I looked her over and it appears to have just been puppy fear crying)

He can be protective of his ball at the park and hates being pushed around. He is giving "hard" corrections but does not appear to want to make contact or injure, just snaps to make a show of his displeasure if you will. I just wonder what a lab (that was brought into a single family and raised) has issues like that - I know it happens and HAVE met agressive labs but it still makes me wonder as they are a pretty easy going resilient breed (unless traumatized or very under socalized.

For those that asked - owner surrender (had him all him from a puppy) - moving far away to live with someone who is highly allergic (significant other).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast