Have to give my Gunny up and I'm not sure how to go about it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have to give my Gunny up and I'm not sure how to go about it.

PennySue is offline Junior Member

DefaultHave to give my Gunny up and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I haven't been on the forum for ages and ages. Seems like the last time was when we first got Gunny not quite a year ago when he was 10 wks old. He's such a wonderful guy, but I'm facing some health issues and I just can't give him the attention he needs. I've know this was coming for a while, but just couldn't bring myself to admit it was necessary. I'm going to need to find him a new, loving home and I have no idea where to go. I've posted on FB to my friends, but nothing definite has come up yet. I'm reluctant to put an ad in the paper or Craig's list, since I wouldn't really know the people who might want him. Any thoughts would be most helpful. This is the first time I have had to give up a dog.
    Thanks,
    Penny
    p.s. I hope this is the proper place to ask this. I didn't know where else to ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Is there a lab rescue organization anywhere nearby? If so, I'm sure they'd be able to help.

Bella

Tanya is offline Senior Member

find a rescue. if there is a lab rescue near you perfect but all breed rescues are awesome to. they are in the BEST position to find the RIGHT home for your dog - pick one that has applications AND home visits and only place dogs in homes that are the right fit.

DO NOT go on craig's list or use facebook - as an individual you cannot do home visits and have to take what people say at face value. LOTS of people lie to get the dog or lie to themselves about if they are really ready for a dog. Rescues (reputable ones) do a good job of weeding these people out.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you are going through this, but it helps tremendously if you'll state WHERE you live, maybe post a pic or 2 of Gunny, and tell us something more about him. Neutered? Good w/ cats? Other dogs??? House/leash trained, etc????

I work w/the LRC rescue task force, so if you haven't been to the LRC site, here is a link to find a rescue in your area (assuming you live in the USA):
    Find a Group - The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

PS, if you bought Gunny from a breeder, that's the FIRST person you should contact! Most responsible breeders are more than happy to take back one of their own!!!

Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I'm sorry. I live in the Los Angeles area, CA Gunny is almost 14mos. old. He's not neutered as his breeder told us not to neuter him until he was around 14-16 mos old. He's very sweet, very, very active. We crate trained him when he was smaller but due to a family emergency, we had to put him outdoors for a week and he has loved being there ever since. He will walk with a halter and knows basic commands like sit, stay(sometimes), fetch it up, whoa, etc. He has not really been around too many other dogs, mainly because I could not get out very often to walk him. As far as house trained, he was before he became an outside dog. We will play in the backyard when I'm up to it. He deserves more than I can give him. I'm trying to post a pic but can't seem to do it right. I'll keep trying, but I did want to respond to all of your posts. In looking at his paperwork from the breeder, they do state that they will take their dogs back if a buyer is unable to keep them. I hate this.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

Ditto on all the above advice. If Gunny is from a breeder contact him or her first! It is in my contract that any of my pups come back to me if ever need be. And secondly find a good lab rescue in your area. Sometimes there is a small wait to get your dog in depending on foster home availability but it will be worth the wait for Gunny. Where are you located?
    Jen and the crew!

I'm in Los Angeles, CA
    Last edited by PennySue; 08-05-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PennySue View Post
    As far as house trained, he was before he became an outside dog. ....

In looking at his paperwork from the breeder, they do state that they will take their dogs back if a buyer is unable to keep them. I hate this.
    Ok - no questions to be asked - CALL THE BREEDER. they asked that puppies be returned to them so this is what you must do. He deserves better than living outside - call them today. Think of your dog right now, not how you feel.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Don't you think I'm thinking of him?!

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Good advice in contacting the breeder. If it is in your contract, so much the better, and contact them ASAP. He will get to a good forever home, and you will have one less worry to deal with. Good thoughts to get well.
    LD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast