Question(s): Torn? Pad

Thread: Question(s): Torn? Pad

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion(s): Torn? Pad

I have tried a search on the forums since I am sure this has been addressed, but didn't come up with anything.

Torn, or possibly worn down or burned?, foot pads.

We were out for a walk and swim yesterday, about a 3/4 mile walk on blacktop path to the lake. On the way out, HK was having a great time fetching balls, and at the lake she got in some long swims. As far as I could chuck a t-ball.

As we headed back, I noticed her limping. I told the DW, and she agreed. No more ball tossing, I wanted her to just walk with us. I was pretty sure she was favoring her right front leg. I was hoping it was just a muscle sprain, and a few days rest would be the end of it.

Then she left the path, walking on the dirt/grass, laid down and started licking one of her hind paws. As we approached, she got up and walked ahead only to repeat the same thing 30 yards ahead of us.

That led to an inspection of all limbs. I guess I was thinking sand burr (from Cappy's thread) about now.

The only thing I could detect, was about 30% of her pad covering missing on one of her hind paw 'toes'.

As soon as we got home, it was paw washing and closer inspection. On that paw it was difficult to tell how the pad skin came to disappear. There is a definite edge where the pad material is missing, i.e. like when a layer of skin gets torn off a blister on human skin. On her opposite hind paw, there was a similar 'injury' to the pad. But on this pad, the 'skin' was still attached along one edge and was 'flapping'. I put some Bacitracent on both wounds and plan on trying to keep her off her feet for a few days except for necessity. No intentional play involving running, or across rough or hot surfaces.

Is there any other treatment recommended?

Is there other possible causes, other than injury from some kind of activity? i.e. Do I need to get her into the vet?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

No suggestions except for taking her to the vet to get it checked out. Poor HK that sounds like its very painful

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup, take her in.

I'm always very careful about mine on blacktop in the heat. I've seen burns on their feet and its not nice.

Poor HK.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Dear Hershey's dad...I found this article that may be helpful to you... PROVET HEALTHCARE INFORMATION - Grazed Footpads

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback from all, and especially for the article Sophiesmama linked.

It gave me some confidence that I was doing the right stuff, and HK is getting in to the vet tomorrow for confirmation of my description, and to check on how well I am following their over the phone advice.

HK did get to visit Minnehaha Creek this afternoon. Another hot day, and she only has to walk about 3 city blocks through the woods to get to it. There was no doubt she enjoyed her time in the creek a lot more that having her foot dried and bandaged when she got out before walking back to the car. She was really pissed with me when we did it again at home after the fur on her hind legs dried out.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Teddy has done this to his paws running at the dog park (not on pavement.) The first time, I took him to the vet, the second time I just treated at home. Just try to keep it as clean as possible, and let it heal on its own.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly cut her pad pretty bad one winter in ice crusted snow. Vet said to keep putting Neosporin on it & just watch it. It took quite awhile to heal. But we didn't have any problems with it.

I should have said cut the top part of the pad off.