How should I interduce Bent to my friends dogs?

Thread: How should I interduce Bent to my friends dogs?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow should I intorduce Bent to my friends dogs?

Bentley is very shy of new dogs but after awhile he is like a rocket and running around adn playing with the other dogs. My friend called asking if I want to go swimming at her house tommrow and that I can bring Bent. Well she has 8 dogs!Three dobermens,2 rottweilers, pug,lab/pit bull mix a pit bull and soon to be a black lab is joining the group! They are all rescue or failed fosters I don;t know if I should take Bentley since he is so scared of dogs. Should I inturduce them one at a time or just a few this time them the other bunch next time plus the other group from this time? I have never had this many dogs around bentley at one time? I want to take him for more social skills but I worry about him a little to much I think. he will be in a fenced in yard so he can run with the other dogs at-least if I take him. As of now my thoughts are yes but only 3 dogs but one at a time to meet him. He has no dog aggression but if a dog snaps at him he is not a dog to back down. I am just glad her crew is friendly!
    Last edited by deidra; 07-31-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jes
    Jes is offline Member

I'm not as knowledgeable as some on this forum, but I personally would introduce him one at a time (with the other dogs out of sight) and see how it goes. Being a friendly crew, he may just have a new group of friends! Good luck!
    Tucker & Remington's Mom

Samson is offline Senior Member

It's introduce Deidra and it should be done gradually and preferably on neutral territory. Personally, if Bentley is scAred of other dogs then I think that you are asking too much of him on a one off visit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    It's introduce Deidra and it should be done gradually and preferably on neutral territory. Personally, if Bentley is scAred of other dogs then I think that you are asking too much of him on a one off visit.
    I am not going to push him to far the first time. was only going to introduce him to there 3 most calm dogs this time around. I was going to fix the owrd but forgot.
    Last edited by deidra; 07-31-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Well done ! Hope it goes OK D !

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If it were me I would not take him. I have found dogs great with humans may nt necessarily be great with other dogs. Especially on their terriitory. Erns and GEms are good examples. Both great but with other dogs I just don't know what might happen if the other dog got annoyed. My neighbours dog is great. But if she got over the fence she would (and once did) beat mine up. Erns runs away...Gems will not so I never put her in that a postion.

Go and relax and have a good time without having to worry what your dog is up to.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

My friend bailed on me but I am still likeing the feedback so in the future if I decide to go again I will have more thought of it clearly.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I would not take him. A scared dog can provoke an attack on himself. Your friend has dogs that are usually very territorial (dobermans and Rotts at least).
    Introducing a stranger with 8 dogs that will probably "gang" on him doesn´t sound like a good idea.

It is better if you take your dogs together for a walk on leash, and ask her to only bring her more calm dogs with her (2 or 3 at most).

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry your friend bailed out on you. I was wondering if you could have her over at your house with one or 2 of her dogs?
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

if her uncle(she has a complicated life so she lives with family members) allows her to bring one of them into town it would be great since it will be on nuetral territory.