odd smell.

Thread: odd smell.

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

Defaultodd smell.

So we noticed that Bentley back half had a strange smell to it. He had been itching a little but not a lot. Gave him a bath, with shampoo the vet gave us. Once he was dry the same smell was there. I'm wondering if there is a weird skin condition. I haven't been able to see anything. Is that normal for a boy? We aren't going to fix him until 18 months, so could it have something to do with him being intack still? Anyone had the same thing?

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Labs should have a light, pleasant odor to them, and males do not smell different even if they are intact.

Is it a very stinky smell? From his butt? Perhaps his anal glands are impacted.

Have you checked his skin, to see if there is a problem there? Redness, oozing, irritation, flakes? Labs do not need to be bathed. When we got Champ, his previous owners had been bathing him often and he stank. Really stank! After two months or so of not having a bath, he started to smell normal and now has just a nice, light smell to him.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

georgie is offline Senior Member

My first thought was his anal glands. If they are full they can give off a bad smell. The vet may need to express them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Eddie has dandruff and skin allergies and does not smell. So maybe it is his anal glands as mentioned.

2LabsMom is offline Member

It is likely from his skin condition. My youngest lab struggles with allergies which can cause him to well.. smell funky. I can always tell when the bath (with the special shampoo) and the fish oil are not enough! Be diligent with the baths (leave the shampoo on the full time), it will go away but you will likely have to keep a serious eye on his skin. I believe it is an actual infection of the skin--I have even had to get him on a short stint of antibiotics for it. (My other one has allergies too but no skin smell.)My boy doesn't itch until it's too late..I have had to learn to watch his coat very carefully!

bett is offline Senior Member

i was thinking anal glands too.tho a skin infection can certainly have an odor. what did the vet say?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tessa has an unpleasant smell. My vet said one of the first things they learn in vet school is if the coat smells or/and greasy feel then it is yeast. When I got Tessa it was horrible and shampoo didn't make much difference. The vet shampoo did.
    Her ears were bad as well.
    Good luck.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

you need to pinpoint where the smell is coming from since different areas can mean different things. yes a male's sheath can smell a bit funky if he has a collection of smegma there and he's not keeping himself clean. it's a musky smell.

Laura