Thinking in print here (about Flynn)

Thread: Thinking in print here (about Flynn)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThinking in print here (about Flynn)

Since about May (when we increased Flynn's pheno by 2x) he's become unnaturally hyper. Not a normal, healthy, active almost-nine year old Lab. He's a rowdy guy to begin with, but he really can be over the top now.

I did some reading and found that high doses of pheno in epileptic human children MAY result in hyperactivity. Well, Flynn is the size of a young boy... he's a fit, lean 87 pounds. (How old is a human boy at 87 pounds... 10 years old? I'm clueless.)

He settles fairly well after eating his meals, especially the evening meal. I don't know if it's the feeding or because I go "downstairs" with all of them after feeding that finally calms him.

It's not a matter of "getting that energy out"... it's FAR too hot for that kind of play right now. But even when it was cooler (spring) the outdoor play just seemed to hype him even more.

This post isn't really very well thought out but I wanted to put it in front of you guys for your input. I can't reduce his med levels, and at the moment I can't increase his outdoor activity.

So... just live with it, I guess? It's terribly frustrating some days.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Maybe you could ask the vet if adding in something like Rescue Remedy into his daily routine would be safe? It helped my very high strung dog to calm herself better. He sounds like he has become very tightly wrapped and a little frenetic.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Try some brain work ....... obedience skills (puppy push-ups sit, down, stand, down, sit etc) some times that can wear them out. Bo is that way the past few weeks almost like frantic energy. Headed to the training club to work him tonight. Too hot to work him outside or in the pool.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sharon - "tightly wrapped and a little frenetic" is ABSOLUTELY the perfect description. Thanks for that. I'll have a chat with Dr. Wendy.
    We're all frazzled from the horrendous heat, I guess. It's taking its toll and no relief in sight.

Seamus and Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt View Post
    Try some brain work ....... obedience skills (puppy push-ups sit, down, stand, down, sit etc) some times that can wear them out. Bo is that way the past few weeks almost like frantic energy. Headed to the training club to work him tonight. Too hot to work him outside or in the pool.
    I can't get him to focus long enough to do a decent sit/stay. The most I can get out of him (obedience-wise) is "crate up!". He knows a cookie is coming for that and he'll wait FOREVER in his crate for that.

Seamus and Flynn

Thinking again here... you know, if I could manage getting home to give him a midday meal, maybe that would help. Maybe he's just HUNGRY by the time I get home. When Tudor was here I know he gave all of them treats midday... hmmm. I'd have to adjust my swim schedule, but that's doable... I guess. Thinking thinking thinking...

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Thinking again here... you know, if I could manage getting home to give him a midday meal, maybe that would help. Maybe he's just HUNGRY by the time I get home. When Tudor was here I know he gave all of them treats midday... hmmm. I'd have to adjust my swim schedule, but that's doable... I guess. Thinking thinking thinking...
    Yeah - I was thinking keeping a steady level of food in him - and maybe upping the fiber/carbs in the food so it takes longer to digest - might help.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.