Canned pumpkin vs. enzymes etc.

Thread: Canned pumpkin vs. enzymes etc.

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultCanned pumpkin vs. enzymes etc.

Sammy has been doing really well on a vegetarian food with the pancreatic enzyme supplement for the past couple months. He's up to 75+lbs (from the 63 he was at when he was sick) and has been energetic with a good appetite. I'm so thankful the pancreatitis (and subsequent absorbtion issues) is manageable this way.

My only concern is that because of the enzymes, his stools are much looser than they were before. It doesn't seem to bother him (no cramping) aside from when he has to GO. The first stool is softly formed but the next ones for the day are very runny/watery.
    Spoke to the vet about it who suggested we cut down the amount of enzyme to see if that made a difference. It didn't. So we went back and she then mentioned that this is just something we will probably have to deal with and since he is doing well otherwise it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I was thinking adding a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin would help? But I'm not sure if it should be an ongoing thing? Or how often?

Suggestions?

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Since he has an ongoing issue, I'd ask the vet. You don't want to take a chance of the pumpkin interfering with the enzymes.

Laura

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The canned pumpkin works really well. When Sophie had a loose stool, I researched the net and it said that pumpkin will work for both constipation and diahrea. It helps dogs have formed poops. It is a natural food and should fit it well with a vegetarian diet. For a 75 lb dog she prob needs 2 tbs a day. Try it for a few days and see if it levels things off for you. It worked by the next day for Sophie.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    The canned pumpkin works really well. When Sophie had a loose stool, I researched the net and it said that pumpkin will work for both constipation and diahrea. It helps dogs have formed poops. It is a natural food and should fit it well with a vegetarian diet. For a 75 lb dog she prob needs 2 tbs a day. Try it for a few days and see if it levels things off for you. It worked by the next day for Sophie.
    Really? Do you know this because you have had a dog with severe pancreatitis and successfully managed him with enzymes and pumpkin?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I was not telling her to forego vet care. I am just saying that pumpkin is a healthly natural way to help loose stools. Obviously she would run it by the vet first. No need to be snotty Sharon, we are all on here trying to help. Here is some advice from a vet online regarding pumpkin and pancreatitis. I hope your dog gets better.
    What to feed a dog post pancreatitis attack?
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 07-29-2011 at 11:00 PM.