Heart broken
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart broken

Bob Martino is offline Junior Member

DefaultHeart broken

I am a 65 yr old guy that has NEVER been without a dog. My present dog is a yellow lab. He has been the love of my life. "Clifford" is 10 yrs old. Yesterday I bent down do see what he was eating and he snarled and bit me right on my face. He did not break skin, but knocked my glasses off and gave me a bump on my cheek. We have had a terrific relationship til now. I am heart broken that he could even think about hurting or biting his master and "daddy" for so long. I don't feel comfortable laying on the floor to cuddle. he is the most affectionate dog I've ever had, but now I don't know how to handle this. I know dogs don't have a long term memory, so how do I show my displeasure and hurt to him to make him realize what he did? If I can at all. I just know my wife will NOT let me send him away. It's her baby too. So what do I do. I can't stop crying and feeling hurt. Clifford has been trying to "make up: I think. he as been trying to get me to pet him and sneek up on my lap. Does he remember? Will he be trust worthy? What do I do. Please give me some help. I am devastated.

Cliffords Daddy, Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry that this happened. My first thought is that there is something physically wrong--either with his eyesight or his cognition. I would take him to your vet for a complete workup. If you've had him his whole life, and he's never shown signs of resource guarding before, then I would be looking at illness.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Agree with Theoconbrio's post. Also, at his age, perhaps you just startled him! I'm sorry it happened, but now you are aware of the possibility (not probability) and you can adjust your actions with him accordingly. Keep us posted, won't you?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with Nathan. Take him into the vet and have him checked out thoroughly from front to back.

Came back to add, did he hear you coming or were you all of a sudden in his face? Remember, he's a dog and they will snarl if something sneaks up on them, especially if they are eating.

Laura

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Sorry your dog attacked you. As you mention they do not have memory to remember they did wrong, so at this point trying to show your frustration is not going to get you anywhere.

I would first check with the vet his sight and hearing because it might well be that he didn´t see or listen you (he was concentrated in his food) and reacted like that.

If he has begun resource guarding his food I would stop feeding him in a bowl and just leaving it on the floor. Instead I would be hand feeding him and making sure he´s calm when eating (the minute he starts getting anxious about the food, stop feeding him).

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Yup, get him checked out. I am sure he did not mean it personally, something is amiss.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Samson is offline Senior Member

Heartbreaking ! After all of this time there must be a good reason !

Keep us posted after you have had him checked out !

Edited to say are you sure that it was intentional ? As Laura said perhaps you surprised him ?
    Last edited by Samson; 07-29-2011 at 02:20 PM.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above: you may have startled him, or he may have something physical (arthritis?) that made him warn you not to touch him. Is this the first time in 10 years that he ever snarled? If so, it should have been corrected before. At age 10, it's hard to do anything but spoil them. If he has been trying to "make up", yes he knows something is wrong, he picks up on your emotions, but he probably doesn't connect it with the snarl/snap incident.
    Please don't feel hurt or offended. Forget the incident and continue to love him as you always have.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry what you are going through but also agree with all of the above. Get him checked out.
    Jen and the crew!

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the above and pleas keep us up-dated.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast