At what age does the 'teenage' phase start?

Thread: At what age does the 'teenage' phase start?

lostplot is offline Junior Member

DefaultAt what age does the 'teenage' phase start?

Our previous 2 dogs were golden retrievers and neither of them seemed to go through a teenage phase. Before we got our current boy I did a lot of reading up about labradors and there were a lot of references to an adolescent stage usually about 6 months if I remember rightly. Jussi hit 6 months and nothing changed - he's always been a very well behaved puppy eg. he has never chewed the furniture or nipped at us.

Fast forward to the present and Jussi has just reached 11 months and things are going slighty awry eg. he has started flinging his water bowl around the room and bouncing up and down when he is on the lead. It's nothing drastic but I just wondered if he is a late developer and this is the start of his teenage phase? Also how long does this phase last or is that like asking about the length of a piece of string?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lostplot View Post
    ...Fast forward to the present and Jussi has just reached 11 months and things are going slighty awry eg. he has started flinging his water bowl around the room and bouncing up and down when he is on the lead...
    Sounds like he's hit it! LOL Seriously, every dog goes through it, just differently. Our dogs always acted like they forgot everything we taught them- kind of like they were testing the rules to see if they were still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lostplot View Post
    ...Also how long does this phase last or is that like asking about the length of a piece of string?!
    Yep- it's like asking about the length of a piece of string. LOL It depends on the dog, and, in my opinion, the owners. I think owners that stick to their guns, so to say, have dogs that go through the teenage stage quicker then other dogs, and with less damage/fall out.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe's was about 9 months to 1 year, so hers lasted about 3 months. 3 L-O-N-G months!
    She forgot her commands, selective hearing, and was afraid of lots of things, like the trash bin.

Our behaviorist said to be repetitive and consistent w/training, and to be patient. It will pass.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio went through 2 phases. The first one (around 6 months) lasted the longest. Pain in the ass!! We had a dominance "fight", which I won on pure instinct. The second one was around a year. It lasted a few weeks and was not that bad, just a lot of ignoring known commands. Dio is very stubborn, but now that we're passed those stages, he's a dream!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

lostplot is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for your replies, that's very useful to know. I shall prepare to batten down the hatches!

Samson is offline Senior Member

and some dogs never leave it ! You know who you are.........

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Around here w/ the girls, it's at ~6 mos and again around 12 -14 mos. I think the latter one is more hormone related though and can be accompanied by a little bit of a fear stage. I try to keep mine in training mode throughout and it seems to lessen the pain.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls would start around 8-9 months & at times were wild, forgot every bit of obedience. Thankfully, by about 16-18 months, my sweet well behaved labs were back.

CajunGolfDog is offline Junior Member

I'm not sure if Magnus is going through this as well or not. He behaves fine (in regards to commands and not tearing things up) always on his manners and I can leave him at home for a few hours and he just sleeps (I have webcams I watch him on). But, when it comes to dropping him off at a friends or family memebrs for day if I have to travel out of town for several days, he starts barking and hides behind me. He doesn't cower or hide his tale, and he just started this last week. I'll call and check in on him throughout the day and they say he's fine. Is this his version on the 2nd stage?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Never had a teenaged phase with Blaise - but he's totally perfect. Diesel, it seems, repeats his teenage behavior with every full moon. Since he is nearly 6, I doubt he'll outgrow this ever.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.