If you board your dog....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you board your dog....

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIf you board your dog....

o.k. I board dogs (and train if asked), retrievers preferably. There are several customers though that think that they can have their dogs picked up or delivered at any time...no extra cost. So here I sit, waiting for a client to call as to when they want their dog. I got up at 4:30 am this morning to go to a obedience show, and want nothing better than to go to sleep. (It is 9:52 pm). Even if they were to call right now, if I were to deliver the dog, it will be another 1 hour. If they come pick up, another 1-1/2 hours (not prompt people). At this point I do not charge extra for pick-up/delivery if the client is within 1/2 hour of me (one way).

Would you pay extra for the privilege of having your dog picked up and delivered at whatever hour of day or night? Gah, these are good clients, but sometimes, they will say that they will pick up "Dog T" on Monday and it is Friday before they call me to ask for their dog...

Can I go to sleep???

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

You go above & beyond, I think. There is a boarding place near us that will pick up, but for a fee. The times we have had to board our dogs there were set times to pick up & drop off the dogs. If I were you I would go to sleep...and not answer my phone. Do you have caller ID? J/K

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yes I would expect to be charged for that service and I would also expect that you would have specific hours in which I had to come get my dog. Sounds like you are being taken advantage of a bit. I'd charge for overtime if they were not there to get the dog by 8pm.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks! By this time I give up, and will charge for another day. These folks have small kids, and will not answer their phone after 9:30-10:00 pm.

I go near their house on Monday evenings on the way to dog class, so I will try to contact them to arrange a drop off. Like I said, it can be DAYS after when they said they would get their dog, as to when they actually get it. Quite honestly for the most part I do not mind. Dogs boarding are a part of the household, on the couch, free runs, food provided. Tonight, I am just really tired. (I am an insomniac though, and probably will still be awake at 3:00 am...just loopier!!!)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

The kennel where I sometimes board Dee has pretty accommodating hours. They open early in the morning, close for a few hours in the afternoon, then re-open until 9 p.m. Apparently they'll also make exceptions for a fee, but as I've never picked her up outside the normal hours....I don't know how much the fee is. I can't even imagine telling someone I would be back on a Monday to pick my dog up and then not turning up until days later......and not calling to let the kennel know that our trip was extended. I don't know what you charge per day in comparison, but sounds like you are very generous with your time.

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

The kennels we have used all have strict hours for pick up and drop off. One did not have Sunday hours. They did not advertise pick up and delivery service. I would expect a fee.

I would definitely pay to have my guys delivered, I'd also pay extra to be able to pick them up after hours (like 8PM when they close at 6PM)

You're too nice.... now go to bed.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

The place where I board will pick up and deliver for a fee and I would definately expect to pay a fee for that. But I wouldn't expect them to do that at any hour.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

The place I kennel Lexi (those rare times when she has to be kenneled) has set pick-up & drop off times. If I was using a private boarding, like you, who offered the convenience of unrestricted pick-up or drop-off times or the option to have the dog picked-up & returned to me, I would expect to pay for that additional convenience.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

oakley is offline Senior Member

I hope they pay you for the days that they leave their dog when they fail to come pick him/her up!!!

I wouldn't even offer delivery if you didn't want to but at least I would charge for it and if your set hours didn't work for them for delivery, they would have to pay for the extra day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast