NLR - Sensitive question for breeders, rescues, or anyone else with an opinion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR - Sensitive question for breeders, rescues, or anyone else with an opinion

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - Sensitive question for breeders, rescues, or anyone else with an opinion

At the Dog Park this morning, we had a new visitor. A beautiful,very light colored, Golden Retriever. Everything about him was wonderful. He was a bit large for 1 year old, height not weight.

So what is this about?

His right front leg is deformed. He does not use it. It turns in, almost horizontal at elbow. Only one pad and nail at a very poorly formed paw. Owner said there are potential issues with his upper arm and shoulder also. She was also a very nice woman, i.e. care for the dog.

The dog was one of a litter of 13, 12 normally formed pups. I forget how the contact was originally made, but the pup was 9 weeks old at the time, contact was via phone, and the breeder told her that she could have (free) this pup with this issue but she needed to come get him immediately. This is what the woman did.

So at 1 year old this dog is friendly, appears happy, and runs with the other dogs like he had 4 good legs. Personally I think the woman that owns this dog is pretty great for taking him and giving him a chance at a good life.

But my question is, do breeders typically do this, give a malformed pup a chance, or do they put them down? I doubt that the breeder could tell that the dog would be able to adjust and develop as he did, but what do I know.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Depends on the malformation, Ed. In my own instance, I had a puppy who had what looked like a deformity when he was born. His leg/foot turned in and my vet wasn't sure if he'd be normal. He couldn't guarantee that the pup wouldn't have issues later on. There was a gal who had fallen in love with this dog. She was there when he was born via c-section and born green. We gave him the puppy name of Kermit. I asked if she wanted him, no guarantees of course. She took him and Kermit recently died at the age of 11 or 12. That leg/foot straightened out eventually but it had torqued his elbow and he did end up with ED in that one elbow. Other than that, he was a terrific pet and perfect in the eyes of his owner.

So in my instance, yes I have but I can't speak for any other breeders. Would I do it for a severely deformed puppy? Boy, I'd really have to think about it.

Laura

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It would have to be a tough decision. I guess things like this are just 1 of 1000 reasons I am not a breeder. I would probably end up keeping the dog. Of course the problem to me would be if the defect impacted the dog such that it couldn't be happy, it would just be that much harder to put it down later.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    it would just be that much harder to put it down later.
    It's a tough call. Say you try and keep it alive and nobody wants it, even for free. You're at your dog limit and there's no way you can take care of it. What do you do? The majority of people would put the dog down and yes it's harder to put a 8 week old puppy down than a 1 or 2 day old puppy. I've lost pups at birth or a day or so afterwards and it hurts, but gosh to lose one at 7 weeks damn near killed me.

Laura

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Ollie's litterbrudder, Edward.

I think of him a lot, Laura... I wonder if he would have been just like Ollie?

Not puppies for me, but Miniature Horses do have a problem throwing dwarfs. These poor babies can have major problems from birth. Some people do adopt these little ones if they aren't severe and can have a pretty good quality of life. Others that have major problems are euthanized at birth or shortly thereafter. We breed cautiously and have had one dwarf born to a mare we bought bred. Foal did not make it. Stallion was gelded and mare sold as a pet. Unfortunately it's genetic and there is no test yet for the gene(s) but not for lack of research. Hopefully someday they'll crack the code.

But yes, we would euthanize a foal should its problems prevent it from having a normal or close to normal life.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

brody is offline Senior Member

a fair few breeders around here contact rescues to place the puppies as they don't want the kennel name associated with the puppy
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

oakley is offline Senior Member

Oakley's litter had a female with a malformed front leg. The leg had to be amputated but last I heard she was doing well.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My brother bred field labs...he always placed the "reject" pups(as they called them) with homes for free rather than put them down, as long as the problem wasn't too severe.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I guess it should depend on the level and severity of the malformation. A dog born with an abnormal leg, but that quickly learns to move on the other 3 deserves to live, same thing with an eye (back when I bought my Great Dane, one of her brothers lost an eye that got a bad scratch from a brother, but he adjusted well).

A dog with a more severe malformation, (let´s say no use of both hind legs) would probably not have a good quality life, then that´s the tough decision... I have seen dogs in wheelchairs and I honestly would not do that to my dogs.

On the other hands, there are many breeders that actually breed for malformations and kill "or cull" healthy pups, like the ridgless rodhesian ridgebacks on the BBC video... that to me was incredible... and then they breed bulldogs with such defects that they can´t have a normal life...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast