How do I tell if he's happy?

Thread: How do I tell if he's happy?

honeybadger is offline Senior Member

QuestionHow do I tell if he's happy?

This is a dumb question, I know. But I've had Jack for a little while now and I keep wondering if he's happy with his new life. I know his life prior to being seized and taken to the pound was probably seriously crappy, but I still worry that he could be happier.

Are there some behavioral things I can look for to let me know he feels settled and happy? How do I tell if I'm a bad owner?

-sigh-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I am sure Jack is very happy! It does take a little bit of time for them to realize that they are in their 'forever home' and won't go back to the bad life they had before. If he likes being close to you, wags his tail, and smiles - he's happy! In your sig pics, that is one happy Lab.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Don't know you - 1st post I've read of yours - and I look at the pictures - he is smiling in the 1st one - he is happy! You must be doing great!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

This sounds a bit mushy, but the fact that you love him enough to post that post on a forum...I don't think he could be anything but happy!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

He certainly looks like one very happy labby boy in your pictures. But like AmazonGold posted, does he respond to you, does he wag his tail... then he is a happy boy.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is he eating and has energy? Is he happy to see you when you come home? Does he like to play? I would say if your dog is acting interested and involved in the world around him then he is probably happy. It really does not take very much at all to make a dog happy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    Don't know you - 1st post I've read of yours - and I look at the pictures - he is smiling in the 1st one - he is happy! You must be doing great!
    Exactly... that pictures is of a happy dog definitely.

It really is easy to tell: If he comes happy wagging his tail when he sees you, jumps or circles you, licks you, follows you around the house, wants to play with you, lets you rub belly, etc, then he´s happy.

If he´s always lying down kind of not interested in life, doesn´t eat well, doesn´t interact with you or anybody else, doesn´t wags tail, plays or gives kisses, then he could be depressed or still confused adjusting to his new house.

But just looking at your pictures I can tell that dog is happy, he is smiling.