8 year old rescue - by owner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 year old rescue - by owner

Susie is offline Junior Member

Default8 year old rescue - by owner

Before I came on and asked for info on local breeders I saw an ad locally from someone looking for a home for their 8 year old lab. I have been torn on getting a puppy or an older dog. I have been emailing with the person who has the lab and she sent me a picture. I would love to make a difference. We talked about meeting up this week. She said she is moving cross country and cannot take him. I am probably answering my own question by asking this - is there a good chance I am getting a dog that has some medical issues. I am probably going to cancel the meeting. Years ago I had a golden retriever and he only lived to be 9, he got cancer and we had to put him down. Like I said I am probably answering my own question. If I had an 8 year old I would do anything I could to keep him. This would just be someone giving me their dog. What do you think? My gut feeling is since this is not through a rescue it is not a good idea.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Saving an older dog from going to the pound is a good thing. Have you asked the owner if the dog has any medical issues? have you asked what vet they go to? If they tell you the vet;s office you can go into that vet and see if they have any record of that dog. Tell them the reasona dn they should see if he is on record.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

well...reputable rescue or not, an 8 yr old dog will be in his senior years and that does come with health issue. Big health problems should be caught right away by a good vet so you could ask for a check up with your vet before you decide. Personally I see nothing wrong with taking a dog from an owner vs shelter, as long as money exchanged is not for financial gain. So if his adoption fee will cover his bed, toys, collar and food, or recent vet visit, an adoption fee would be warranted. It really bothers me when someone asks $300 or more for a dog they just want to dump anyway.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susie is offline Junior Member

Thank you. I will ask her to bring his vet records. I am glad I asked. If she is willing to show me them it will make me feel better. We haven't discussed money. I think she is planning to give him away but I might be wrong. If she wants money I was going to ask if we could donate it to a rescue instead. It is hard communicating through emails. I will be glad when we meet.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Do you have any kids or other pets? If so i would bring them to the meet up. If there is a fee I would ask what it is for. Like Canula said if it is to cover everything it is understandable but just for money I would be more catious.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It really depends on the dog. I rehomed a very healthy, well trained 7.5 yo this summer (my first ever). I honestly think she's got another 7.5 yrs to live-- she still acts like a puppy! I didn't charge anything, because to me, it was for HER, so she could have far more attention, etc, than I have to give here (went to a family w/ 2 little boys who adore her, take her to the park, to swim, you name it, she's in heaven!). When they asked me about $, I suggested if they WANTED, they could make a donation to make it to Lab rescue. I had just done a full senior blood panel, rabies, etc, and had a full copy of her vet file for the new family and asked my vet if they needed or wanted to call if they could (yes). Anyhow, if he's healthy and well socialized with people and other animals, I personally think it'd be a great thing. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I think it would be a wonderful thing to rescue that boy! Just keep in mind that he will miss his old family for a while, and will be sad. It took Champ a couple of months before he was really happy here, and even then he'd get all crazy if he saw a school bus or little girls.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My personal opinion is the only thing better than one lab is two! I love older animals even though they come with heartbreak too soon. I say adopt him and somewhere done the road when he's well adjusted get a puppy! Then you can have both. Life is too short...enjoy it!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    I am probably answering my own question by asking this - is there a good chance I am getting a dog that has some medical issues. I am probably going to cancel the meeting. Years ago I had a golden retriever and he only lived to be 9, he got cancer and we had to put him down. Like I said I am probably answering my own question. If I had an 8 year old I would do anything I could to keep him. This would just be someone giving me their dog. What do you think? My gut feeling is since this is not through a rescue it is not a good idea.....
    My GSD was 11 when I adopted her. I had serious doubts about her health wondering WTH I would be getting myself into if I took her. It was my vet who told me about her. I had not long lost my Lab to cancer & I told my vet I needed another dog. She rang me about 3 weeks after Jo died to ask me if I wanted a GSD. When she told me she was 11, the first thing I asked her was did she have HD as Shepherds are notorious for it. She assured me she was a healthy dog. She had just vaccinated her & checked her over. She said she would take her herself if she could. That convinced me. I had her for 3 more years before she too was taken by cancer. In the time I had her, she had no health problems until about the last 2 months when she started going downhill.

In the past, I have also adopted 2 old King Charles Spaniels (7 & 10). Both were in good health until they died. My Pug is nearly 12 & still going strong. Bottom line is, just because the dog is old, it doesn't mean it's going to have health problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Just adopt him, i whould be for sure, you whould endup with one fantastic Labrador (if you give him some time to settle)

And .. As above mentioned, after a while you can always bring in a pup, so you can enjoy the both best worlds of having a Labrador(s) around youre house

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast