Breeders in Vermont
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeders in Vermont

Susie is offline Junior Member

DefaultBreeders in Vermont

Hi, I live in Vermont and hoping to get info or a list of reputable breeders in the area. This will be my first lab and I have been doing lots of research and would appreciate help. Thanks you!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

PM sent
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Go to gundogbreeders.com and click on your state....I found my pup from this site

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Go to gundogbreeders.com and click on your state....I found my pup from this site
    Just a word of caution, but I don't believe the site you post above has any pre-reqs for health clearances and I find it a little dangerous to send folks to forums w/ the belief that everything/everyone is wonderful. You may correct me if I'm wrong but as of about a year ago, they were allowing any byb to post their litter there.

Other forums such as the RTF RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF - Powered by vBulletin requires full reg'd names of both parents plus hips, elbows, eyes and if not required yet, EIC and CNM are highly recommended. Even PRA is starting to be advertised and this is something the field lines have been "relatively" clean for (and I say relatively because I know better-- it's there, but just not as prevalent as in the show lines).

There are alot of good resources out there on how to find a good breeder. Just be sure you do your homework. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dani is offline Senior Member

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

People here have used gundogbreeders for years. I have a friend that lists his Walker Treeing Hounds there. Each breeder that lists on the site have websites. I went to each breeder's site. Read up on them. Breeders list their qualifications. Sure there are a few (very few) people that list with no website. Avoid those. It is common sense.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

People here have used gundogbreeders for years. I have a friend that lists his Walker Treeing Hounds there. Each breeder that lists on the site have websites. I went to each breeder's site. Read up on them. Breeders list their qualifications. Sure there are a few (very few) people that list with no website. Avoid those. It is common sense.
    A website alone does not a good breeder make. (and some really great breeders don't have sites) It is vastly better to go through an organization that applies some scrutiny and has some standards (like a Lab club or the above mentioned RTF). Most people who are asking for advice on finding a puppy really don't know how to sift the good breeders from the BYBs or Millers. And - since Windy Canyon is a breeder of Field dogs, you might want to defer to her judgement on this issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above - a pretty website with well worded descriptions and pretty pictures of cute dogs (beautiful dogs) does not mean the breeder is anything more than a BYB. heck, some of those with no websites may be more ethical (just not good with online stuff). proving the dogs and health clearances are what makes a breeder ethical.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well now...that's special. Jihadists also have pretty websites, does that make them legit too? Can't believe everything you read on the internet...or do you think that Wikipedia is the God's honest truth too?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just for giggles I went through all the listed Lab sites for NJ. 2 I knew already as reputable breeders. 2 seemed reasonable and might be worthwhile. 3 others seemed sketchy. Most can't make that differentiation without some prior research. And there really seems to be no standard for the site (required clearances with proof of same).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast