Right age to Spay????
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right age to Spay????

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

QuestionRight age to Spay????

I see other post talking about the right time to neuter, but what about to spay. I know that if you want to spay you should do it before their 1st heat....but then again when is the best time. I asked my vet and they said between 6-8 months. I just want to make sure that I don't do it to early neither to late when she gets her first heat.

So there you have it...give me your opinions in when is the best time and why?
    ~Roxy~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I was told 6 months. I was thinking prob about 6 1/2 mo. People keep nagging me to breed Sophie...I am of the "no way" mind! Our Maggie passed away at 12, and we had her spayed before her first heat, and she acted like a puppy through out her life.

labby is offline Senior Member

you don't have to do it before the first heat. in fact it's healthier to let the dog have one season. I require my puppy people to wait until at least a year and would prefer the dog have a season

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    you don't have to do it before the first heat. in fact it's healthier to let the dog have one season. I require my puppy people to wait until at least a year and would prefer the dog have a season
    But how do you handle the doggie while she is on heat...what about blood getting on the floor and carpet?
    ~Roxy~

labby is offline Senior Member

crate her.

Laura

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are arguments on both sides. I wish I had listened to Labby in retrospect. The vets seem to favor earlier, but to be honest, I have started to believe that their position is influenced by earlier income.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that the earlier spay/neuters are influenced by the fact that most dogs/cats shouldn't and don't need to be bred, and the earlier they can get them, the more likely they are to be spayed/neutered. The longer most people wait, the more likely it just isn't going to happen. I don't believe that the early spay/neuter is motivated by what is best for the animal.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are certain cancers that are almost emliminated with spay before first heat, there are others that are significantly reduced if spayed after first heat. It becomes a bit of a crap shoot since we do not know if our specific pup is likely to get any of the cancers. However, it is pretty clear, and this is why I now favor waiting, that allowing the animal to fully develop its body, skeletal and muscular, before neutering or spaying is a real plus on the waiting side. Waiting until two years old would be a good target, which may mean more than one cycle for the females. Of course, it also means that we have to pay more attention to our animals while they are still whole. What a terrible thing to have to pay attention to our animals! << SARACSM, in case it was missed.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

We spayed Java at 6 months per our vet. She went on to tear both ACLs at 13 months.....there are studies being done that link joint issues to early spay/neuter. Java's ortho surgeon said that when he opened her knees up and looked at her ligaments it appeared that they had not matured and hardened the way they were supposed to. Was that because we spayed her early at 6 months? Maybe....

So, we waited with Moka(she also had a recessed vulva, so we wanted to see if going through a heat would correct it-which it did). She ended up going through 2 heats and was just spayed this past May at 18 months old. Her knees and joints are healthy and sound.

I will NEVER spay/neuter any future pup before 12-18 months. I will allow any females I have to go through at least 1 heat.

When Moka was in heat it was not bad AT ALL...the first time, you wouldn't have even known she was in heat. She kept herself meticulously clean. No mess at all.
    The second time there were drops of blood, but nothing excessive. We put old blankets on the couch and kept paper towels and cleaner close by in case she did drip...but she did not bleed heavily at all.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When your vet advocates for spay at 6 months they are adopting a "public health" stance - if all pet dog owners spayed at that point there would be zero unwanted litters and no pet overpopulation problem. That does not mean that it is the optimal choice for your individual dog.

Like others have said - there are significant benefits to waiting to desex a dog. The orthopedic problems are documented. Your dog's growth plates will close more slowly and she'll be taller/lankier. This leads to change in angulation and potentially problems with the joints.

It's not all that big a problem to manage around a female in heat - you just have to be vigilant. If you don't think you can do that then you should spay at 6 months.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast