The correct age to nueter?

Thread: The correct age to nueter?

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe correct age to nueter?

I know there was just a discussion on this...but Im looking for an answer to something else too, that might go along with this. I want to wait until Titus is a least one year old before nuetuering him so he can "fill out" I guess is the word I want. I just want him to be mature before I do. My male great dane was done very early..he never lifted his leg to pee..not once. My hubby says he wants him done at 6 months because he will "mark" his territory if we wait until he matures. I say if hes housebroken he shouldn't. Hubby doesnt want to take the chance that he will. Does a housebroken dog "mark" in the house if hes not neutered?

Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Tank marks sometimes and he IS nuetured. I would tell him (your husband) about what happens if you do get him fixed to early. Plus tell him you want him to have his man-hood longer
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

labby is offline Senior Member

18-24 months. I have 2 intact males in my house both whom have been bred. they have NEVER marked in the house not even when I've had girls in season here. oops I forgot I only have 1 intact male as of today but neither of them have lifted their legs indoors. I won't allow it even at indoor dog shows unlike many other show people.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

dogs mark if they are allowed to. neutered or not, it is the human's job to teach them proper behavior. same for those who think neutering will "calm down" a dog. it doesn't.

For the record, my rescue was neutered around 17-18 mts. he likely bred a litter (he came from a bad place). He sometimes lifts his leg but is more likely to squat to pee.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Ditto. You wait to neuter in order to allow a dog to properly develop - not just for looks but because neutering early leaves the growth plates open longer. Longer open time on the growth plates makes for a taller, lankier dog, changes the angulation and can increase the potential for joint issues.

My younger dog was neutered at 18 months and never, ever marked in the house. Both of my boys alternate between squatting and lifting. I attach no meaning to that at all.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

I was told to wait at least a 12 months, and we neutered at exactly 12 months. i know it's recommended to wait 18-24 months, but I guess I was just impatient (hee hee) .

And honestly, like i just posted on Roxy's thread - it was no big deal to wait. he humped his doggie bed and got little 'drips' on the floor but never humped another dog.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    18-24 months. I have 2 intact males in my house both whom have been bred. they have NEVER marked in the house not even when I've had girls in season here. oops I forgot I only have 1 intact male as of today but neither of them have lifted their legs indoors. I won't allow it even at indoor dog shows unlike many other show people.
    What she said.

Now on the marking issue: ALL dogs mark, even females, neutered or unneutered they do mark. WHERE they mark, is where you let them. If you housebreak them they will NEVER do it inside the house.

Do a search on the forum, we have discussed this issue deeply with all the considerations of early vs late neutering vs keeping intact. My advice is to get ALL the info you can before making your decision. And to be honest watch out what many Vets recommend, because their interest is usually $$$ related and to prevent unwanted dog population, not the long term well being of your dog.

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

I'm waiting with Emmett... There was link in a thread a few months back, with that and the face that the breeders on here have great knowledge it was a no brainer for me. My first dog was a mix and he was almost 2 and we did that at the advise of our trainer.

With all the history of joint problems in the breed... why with that knowledge would you not wait? I'm a responsible owner so I don't see it being a problem.

My vet has never said anything about it. She's awesome I guess that's why I drive 45 minutes to her.
    Amy

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Neutering has no bearing on whether a male will lift his leg to pee or not. Some never do, some do some of the time, some always do. It depends on the dog.

As mentioned several times already, marking in the house is a matter of training (or lack thereof). We got Champ when he was two and intact. Buddy was already here. Champ started to lift his leg once that first day, was told NO! and shown the door to go out, and he has not done it since.

Also as previously mentioned, it is best to wait until your male is 18 to 24 months old, to make sure he has achieved optimal growth. It is also best to wait until a female has had one heat before spaying.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy