Need opinions on spay fees...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on spay fees...

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

QuestionNeed opinions on spay fees...

Hi there,

Today Roxy had her last round of shoots, including rabies...yay, so next week we will be able to start with walks. Anyway, to what I need help. I received today an estimated for the fees of getting Roxy spay...and Oh my I was thinking that was maybe $200-300 but nope is $511

Pre surgical exam/consultation $46
    Blood work pre surgery $51.24
    IV catheter & infusion set up $54.50
    IV fluids $37
    Doppler advanced anes monitor $34
    Spay fee (50-74 lbs) $169.50
    prescriptions sent home $40
    Ingection leg animal (SQ,IM) $32.50
    Elizabethan collar 25 cm $13.23
    Microchip $32
    Tax $1.03
    GRAND TOTAL $511.00

Really I love my vet office, but isn't this kind too expensive or is normal considering that I live in California???

What you think guys????
    ~Roxy~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

wow...where do you live again? You might be able to find a spay and neuter clinic near you that will save some money. My vet spay fees are typically 100 but I do live in a farming community. They do not send home pain pills or the collar, that is extra if you want. The collar is $9 and pills are $20. Microchip fee is $35. I have used the spay and neuter clinic before and they did an excellent job, the $85 fee included collar, and pain medication. Microchip was extra but I don't remember how much they charged as I didn't need it.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Tanya is offline Senior Member

actually sounds normal.
    If you live in a large, expensive, city- try calling vets farther out as they may be abit less expensive.

Dogs are expensive, I am "budgeting" (overly) for abit under $1000 between all the shots and spay/neuter (as I plan to do that when they are fully developed, so it will be more expensive as they would weight more but it is better for them this way). Or I may rescue and save all that money haha.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

From memory I think our fees were about $300 including pain killers.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Over here, you can get a spay/neuter certificate from City Hall, and if you take it to a participating vet, it costs
    $125 for male dog
    $150 for female dog

It was much cheaper 8 years ago. I paid way under $100 for Zoe.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I live in a big city in California. I know that normally this kind of things are expensive but since my previous dog was adopted from SPCA I didn't have to pay for that. So no idea how much was. My husband is kind of a cheap an rather take her to the SPCA to get it done for under $200 but I just don't know if it will be the best thing for Roxy, after loosing Magenta to Cancer I just want to make sure that I keep as safe and healthy as I can to Roxy.

Do you guys think that getting it done at the SPCA will be fine for her? so we can save some money. Right now we are a little tight with money but if I have to pay the $511 I will...my husband of curse thinks differently.

Thanks for your comments
    ~Roxy~

deidra is offline Senior Member

Our local Human society will pay half of the cost if your family is not able to pay the whole cost. My aunt did that then the year after she got a good job and donated that same amount to them. I would call and ask if they had the same thing.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Yellow Dog is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mely1015 View Post
    I live in a big city in California. I know that normally this kind of things are expensive but since my previous dog was adopted from SPCA I didn't have to pay for that. So no idea how much was. My husband is kind of a cheap an rather take her to the SPCA to get it done for under $200 but I just don't know if it will be the best thing for Roxy, after loosing Magenta to Cancer I just want to make sure that I keep as safe and healthy as I can to Roxy.

Do you guys think that getting it done at the SPCA will be fine for her? so we can save some money. Right now we are a little tight with money but if I have to pay the $511 I will...my husband of curse thinks differently.

Thanks for your comments
    I wouldn't worry about using the SPCA. $511 is a lot of money. Our vet is moderately priced, and he charged almost $200 less than that.

If we had a low-cost spay neuter/clinic nearby, I would have had no reservations taking our dog there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Dog View Post
    I wouldn't worry about using the SPCA. $511 is a lot of money. Our vet is moderately priced, and he charged almost $200 less than that.

If we had a low-cost spay neuter/clinic nearby, I would have had no reservations taking our dog there.
    Thanks so much, I just worry that she might not get the same care at the SPCA, but it seem like a lot of people do take their dogs there for care since their prices are more affordable.
    ~Roxy~

Jan2009 is offline Member

I lived in Cali. and the SPCA is a great place to take your pup. I am now in AZ and will be taking Khloee to a Spay and Neuter clinic for about 100 bucks including microchip and meds. Her vet wanted to charge me almost $500! that is insane!! Good Luck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast