Lab Puppy

Thread: Lab Puppy

paintergirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab Puppy

Looking for a pup in Oregon. Any suggestions for good and bad breeders? We
    have looked at Oakhaven and Sunnyview so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

I don't have any recommendation since I live in CA, but want it to wish you luck.
    ~Roxy~

Yellow Dog is offline Member

Since I don't live out there, I can't help you out with a specific breeder, but looking at Oakhaven's website, they look like their specialty is breeding field/hunting dogs.

My first lab was a cross between a field dog and a show dog, and he ended up being a little taller and lankier. Ten months ago, we bought a dog whose parents were show dogs, and he looks like he is going to be shorter and stockier than our first dog.

Regardless of whether you choose a show or field dog, just make sure they do the health testing on the parents (i.e. OFA and CERF). Also, we felt very comfortable with the field dog breeders that had "MH" titled dogs, as well as the show dog breeders that had "CH" titled dogs. I'm definitely not an expert, but everyone I talked with said to buy from a breeder that had their dogs competing in either conformation or hunting events.
    Last edited by Yellow Dog; 07-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I responded to your other post w/ the NW lab clubs. Since it appears here that you are looking for a field bred lab, you may also want to contact the hunt test clubs in your area-- Oregon Retriever Trial club, Salem, etc clubs. You just missed 2 weekends in a row of hunt tests at Sauvie Island where you could have talked to several pro trainers or breeders.
    There is one more hunt test coming up on Sept 10 in Jefferson, OR area (appears to be Salem area)-- either go to the AKC events calendar or to Entry Express online for that info. https://www.entryexpress.net/LoggedI....aspx?eid=4809 (see if this link works-- you may need to log in w/ an account in order to view it).
    Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When I was looking back in may, I used this site: Hunting Dog Puppies in Oregon and Oregon Bird Dog Breeders - Gun Dog Breeders Directory I called a bunch of the breeders listed and visited their websites. One of my calls sent me to a breeder in Bend. We bought Sophie from them. Our breeder may have pups in Nov. None right now. I did find gundog breeders really helpful.