hOUSEBREAKING A PUPPY WHEN HE WILL BE OUTSIDE IN A KENNEL DURING THE DAY
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hOUSEBREAKING A PUPPY WHEN HE WILL BE OUTSIDE IN A KENNEL DURING THE DAY

2whitelabs is offline Member

QuestionhOUSEBREAKING A PUPPY WHEN HE WILL BE OUTSIDE IN A KENNEL DURING THE DAY

I will be getting my puppy lab on July 30th. She will be 16 weeks old, She will be for the most part outside in a huge kennel area with our 11 yo lab (I will 1st make sure they will be fine together during the day while I am at work. My questions is how do I house break her once I come home from work & bring her in. Should I automically put her in a crate til & feed her & then have playtime, putting her outside every hour or so before bedtime, then put her in her crate beside my bed for the night.
    Its been almost 12 year since I had a puppy, but I never crated my other 2 dogs I had in the past.
    Thanks for any input. And also thanks and talking me out of getting 2 pups at one time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

So glad you're not getting 2 pups!!!
    Now if we can just talk you out of leaving your new lab baby outside in a kennel all day....

dweck is offline Senior Member

Are you in the U.S.? Where there are MAJOR heat-waves almost from coast to coast these next two weeks??? Please tell us you've got a contingency plan in mind if your daytime temps begin to soar over 95 degrees F. Please tell us that.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

That's so true no dog should be left outside even on shade area when temps are higher then 85 degrees...in my opinion is kind of inhuman. If you have a crate used it and leave the puppy inside the house in the crate.
    ~Roxy~

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

My first thought is that this will be a tough adjustment for the 11 year old. If someone dropped off a 2 year old at my house and told me to have fun for the day I'd be pretty distraught!

I've never crated a dog either so I won't be much help with the housebreaking question but there is no doubt you are going to have some real challenges trying to leave a puppy outside all day

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is the outdoor kennel where your 11 year old current spends the day?
    Is it very shady? are you able to get a water bowl fixed in place so puppy cannot tip it over (which will happen if you do not ensure it is sturdy). Do you have a back-up plan for the days when it is too hot to leave both dogs outside (it is a H-O-T summer!)

What kind of ground is the flooring? can you ensure they won't dig out? (labs are diggers).

Do you have neighbours? What if one or both of the dogs barks all day?

Leaving a puppy in an outdoor kennel is not a great idea nor the safest place, lots of trouble they can get into as they put everything in their mouth (yes, rocks and twigs are chocking hazards) and they tend to tip over water bowls leaving no drinking water. Are you unable to hire someone to let the puppy out while you are at work? Crating indoors is the safest.

I would never leave a puppy unsupervised with an older lab. Especially during the first few months as they get to know each other. It isn't FAIR to the older dog. I am a cautious person and believe dogs should be supervised when they interact until you really know them. What is the older dog doesn't WANT to deal with the puppy all day? 10 hours is a loooong time.
    Last edited by Tanya; 07-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

The questions asked above are important to me also, but I'd have to ask what so far, the pup has learned in the way of housetraining. Is this a pup you bought from a breeder? If so, she may already be litterbox (or similar) trained which if so, would make your transition very easy. A small kiddy pool w/ wooden pellets specifically made as potty material is all you'd need in the kennel run.

In addition to shade, etc, in the kennel, is there a way to divide it off during the day so your older one has some peace if she wants? I never put my young pups out w/ the older ones until later, when I know they aren't going to be pests, and yet they all live together from birth on here. So the precautions already given are valid.

Is there any way you can take your pup to work for the first few weeks or set up an ex pen at home in the house or garage for the puppy?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

georgie is offline Senior Member

You have already received good advice but I just wanted to add, a 4 month old puppy is very energetic, left to their own devices, they can get into alot of trouble. keeping the puppy outside all day with your older lab really isn't fair to the older lab. Plus, if the new puppy is in a crate at night & possibly before you feed her/him, that is alot of time penned up & crated. They need exercise or they can get destructive. If there is no other alternative, it may be better for the new puppy to be crated in the house while you are at work.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I´m just going to address your specific question without judging your kennel setup, that I assume you have taken care of and that your 11 y/o dog has a good place to stay and can get out of bad weather when it´s there.

I think you would have it easy because as soon as you get home your puppy is going to be happy to see you and get active. Let him relieve himself in the place you have determined as his bathroom and then you can let him in your house. During the day I assume your kennel is large enough so the dogs have a place to go if they need to? Or does your older dog just holds it all day til you return?

I had a similar situation to yours with my dogs, I have to leave them at home for work. But I always go home during lunch time (we have long lunch time breaks so I have plenty of time) so they never stayed alone for more than 5 hours. In my case they are not kenneled, they stay at a patio with access to a laundry room where they can have shelter in case of rain, cold, heat, etc. If they need to go, they use the patio.

2whitelabs is offline Member

DefaultLet me explain, please

I'm a bit confused of alot of negative feedeback. As I appreciate your concerns & comments, Please let say that I am a huge animal lover. This puppy is not the 1st puppy I've had. I've had 2 pekenese who both lived to be 16 yo ea, A dalamation who was 14 when he passed and now have a 11 yo lab. The Dalmation & Lab stayed in a custom built kennel~ size 34' x 13'
    with a custom built doghouse, insulated, shingle roof, 2 windows and yes a window A/C & heater ~ dog house measures in size 8' x 5' & 6" tall. The kennel also has a blue plastic pool.
    We live on a 2 acre lot. The lab stays in the kennel while we are at work. Once we get home we let him out and he has the run of the rest of the yard and inside our home.
    So leaving the puppy out in the keenel with a/c doghouse does not see too shaby to me. As mentioned earlier, I don't plan on doing this till I make sure the puppy & lab get along well.
    I know my lab, he is very gentle & laid back. I plan on also having my neighbor check on them a few time as day.
    So all I asked is a little suggestion on housebreaking. Thank-you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast