Ok BREEDERS! Spill your beans!! :)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok BREEDERS! Spill your beans!! :)

TanyaAD138 is offline Member

QuestionOk BREEDERS! Spill your beans!! :)

Im new to the whole "going through a breeder" for a dog. The #1 thing i've noticed with all breeders are the lavish and well titled names all of their dogs have. Im dying to know.... Where in the world do these names come from?? and all the abbreviations that come before and sometimes after the name?

Example: I've never seen a breeder just name one of their dogs "brian" and call it a day. No, it's more something like: "Highest mountain of the major skies" (im making that up... no offense to anyone)

Can someone explain the naming scheme to me?? it's amazing some of the names of these dogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

First, the link showing what all the initials stand for: AKC Title Lists - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

As for naming, AKC has registered so many dogs over the years, most of the short names would have all been taken long ago. Nowadays if you submit something generic, it'd probably be followed w/ some high roman numeral, so what fun is that? Most of us want to name our dogs something unique, or meaningful to us. The first part is generally the kennel name of the breeder (dam's owner). The rest may be something following a general theme, a litter theme, a play on the parents' names or encompassing the new owner's kennel name... something like that. Your example may mean to me that the pup was bred by the kennel "Highest Mountain" and maybe is now part of a new kennel named "Major Skies".

I have worked off an apple theme here for the past 16+ yrs, for instance (Gala, Fuji, Jazz...).

If you want to see some fun names, go to a hunt test some time. I've read some off as marshal that are really clever, and sometimes downright funny! For most of us, it's just a fun game.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We had alot of fun coming up with our Sophie's name. If you go to the AKC website, you can type in your name and see if it is available to use. We often get fancy for the papers. Dogs usually have a "call" name and a registered name. Our Sophie is: Cheyley's Cafe au Lait Sophia. How we came up with it: Her mom's name was Cheyene, so we took the Chey and combined it with "ley's" which is the last letters of her dad's name Harley. Cafe au Lait is coffee with a little milk and sugar. Sophie is a chocolate lab with a little white on her chest....hence the milk and sugar. Did you find your pup? Did you try the gundog breeders site?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

I don't have any idea since Im not a breeder, but hope that you find your puppy very soon
    ~Roxy~

patm is offline Senior Member

Breeders are going to have their kennel name in the dogs name so people know what kennel the dog came from. If you bought a dog from a breeder, they usually require that you put their kennel name in the registration name for the warrenty to be valid. A lot of kennels do follow a "theme" of sorts - again, probably because it's fun, but also so people can tell where the dog came from. I used to wonder about the long names too, and then the dog had a short "call name", like "Brian". I am not a breeder, but I do show my dogs in other venues, so I put the kennel name where the bitch came from (required for warrenty, plus I like having the kennel name , then I put my kennel name in (name is long, before I knew how much space it would take up in a registered name), and since I don't have enough dogs to have a "theme", I usually just put their call name in part of the official name. Hence - Trinity's Emilu of Pioneertrail, RAE,CD and VonHausmans Baxter B of Pioneertrail.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Our two....Wassookeag's Jackson Blacke. Wassookeag is his mothers kennel name and I'm a huge fan of Jackson Browne but Jack is a black so we added the "e" similar to Browne with an "e".

Ben is Mirabelle's Been Duly Noted. Again Mirabelle is his mothers kennel name but his mothers name is Timesquare Noteworthy, he has a sister: Timesquare Worthy of Note so we went for a Ben (Been) name keeping in the "note" theme. It is a frustrating yet fun event. Have fun with naming your pup.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

In contrast to all the clever names, my dog is just Corrado Bean. No kennel name, no titles-yet. Maybe someday

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

The "lavish" name is the dog's registered name. These dogs also have a "call name" (their regular, everyday name).

For example, my older boy's registered name is "Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs". Gorsebrook is breeder's kennel name, and his litter was the "J" litter, so all of the puppy owners had to come up with registered names starting with J. His call name is Henry.

As far as the letters after his name, he has his CD (Companion Dog = novice obedience title), RN (Rally Novice), WC (working certificate) and CGN (Canine Good Neighbour = Canine Good Citizen in the US).

My younger boy's registered name is "Kelrobin A Twist of Fate". Kelrobin is Laura's kennel name (thank you again, Laura, for entrusting me with one of your precious babies!!), and his name has incredible meaning to me because how he came to be with me truly was a twist of fate. I then chose his call name, Oliver, as a play on his registered name.

His titles are a work in progress!!

So you can see, it can be a lot of fun naming them!

Good luck with your hunt for your new pup!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I love making up registered names. I have a list of them to pick from for future dogs! LOL
    With my male I had a theme we were going off of. His sire was Ch. Janrod's Chasing a Dream and his mom was Shadowmyst Daystar Dream so his litter was the Dream litter.
    Gryphon was Shadowmyst Dare To Dream.

Lily was the first dog I put my own kennel name on so hers is not so fancy. just Endeavor Cinderbay Stargazer. Endeavor being her breeder and Cinderbay is our name and my favorite flower is the stargazer lily.
    Our next girl I had a little fun with and named her Endeavor Cinderbay She's Got Rhythm and we call her Rhumba!

Now last year we got a Papillon and if your familiar they have huge flowing butterfly ears. His name is Double W Cinderbay 'Ear Comes Trouble. Call name is Trouble. I have a few more Pap names picked out for the next one boy or girl.
    Kim

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup! Its just for fun, but also to make it easier on each other...a kennel name gives us an idea of where the dog came from. Imagine if we just all called our dogs Mike, we wouldn't know who was whom!

My new puppy coming home in 17 days Riverwatch Crescent City Postmark, she's the first dog I've had where there is a litter theme set by the breeder. Its a 'postal' theme and the dog must have a 'City' name. So her name is Nola. N.O. LA is the postal abbreviation for New Orleans Louisiana, which is where I was when she was born. But mostly its for fun!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast