Water Bowl or Swimming Pool???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Bowl or Swimming Pool???

Full House is offline Member

DefaultWater Bowl or Swimming Pool???

Hi Experts! So, Ray has discovered that he is a water dog. In addition to having met and mastered the beach, the pond, the kiddie pool, the bathtub, the shower (yes...), he is trying to swim in his water bowl. It's a mess! First, he was tipping it over so he could lie in the puddle. I borrowed a "no-spill" bowl, so now he digs at the water in the bowl to get the water out and then lies in the puddle! The floor is a mess, he's a mess - everything's wet! Anyone know of a water bowl that might foil him? Remember, he's now only 3 months old. He's only going to get more clever!

Meanwhile, things are going well with him, I'd say. He's still not the most cuddly guy in the world, but he seems to be clearly bonding with us. He doesn't follow me around (yet??) but he's happy to see me when I come by. He's mellow and attentive and smart. And, he sleeps a ton. Almost a worrisome amount, but I know he's growing. He likes the kids, he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and he's pretty low maintenance (excluding the above). He's a winner!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Both Baxter and Emilu were "water bowl diggers". Emilu would dump hers and carry it around. Baxter just liked to dig all the water out. I got a heavy crockery bowl so it couldn't be dumped or carried, and finally would just put a little water in at a time so at least it didn't looked like we had sprung a leak in the kitchen. All I can say is that both of mine outgrew the habit - except yesterday Baxter had a great time digging out all the water in his outside bucket - I filled it 3 times while we were sitting there.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Yes both mine were waterbowl diggers as well. Like Pat said, I was lucky they grew out of it fairly quickly

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I have a similar problem but it's mainly the Tom Cat that is the water lover !

I have ceramic floor tiles and I put down a small waterproof bath mat under the water bowl which not only stops it scooting around but also soaks up the water and in the summer dries out on it's own ( with a weekly clean underneath ! Yes - I'm a slob )

Not so sure that the mat will be sufficient when he gets older but in the meantime it might help !

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

will an elevated bowl work?
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Full House is offline Member

Aha - sounds like a common problem. I tried a mat, but there's so much water it just seeps underneath and I'm concerned about moisture or rot on the wood floors... Also less water is a good idea, but it's so hot and with two dogs I want to make sure there's always water. An elevated bowl? That sounds like a good idea! I hope he does grow out of it - sounds like the best solution of all!

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

or a doggie water cooler - have you seen those? they likely wouldn't tip over and only have a certain amount at a time, i think...

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb was a waterbowl digger, too. When he would start splashing in his dish, we'd tell him "no" and redirect his attention to something else. If that didn't work, I picked the bowl up. When he was occupied with something else, I put the bowl back down. It really didn't take all that long to get the message through his little yellow head.

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

We are having the same problem with Titus who is 11 weeks old. For the time being, I give him small amounts of water through out the day. We do have an auto water dish, which he cannont dump, but it holds alot of water and all the succeeded in doing was giving him even MORE water to dig out onto to floor to play in..lol Giving him small amounts ( what he will drink in one sitting ) is working fine..but Im giving him water every hour....which is kinda a pain..but better than cleaning up a water mess 4 times a day.

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

Scupper is a water bowl digger bad. We hung a double coat hook on the side of the pantry and hung an 8 quart bucket from it for their water. We even have a hook that we hang a bucket outside at the boat for water and inside the boat we have a bucket hanging with a few zip ties and a carabeener clip - all works like a charm!

Rudder - 4 yrs......Scupper - 3 yrs........Brig 19 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast