Maddox is a 'fraidy cat.

Thread: Maddox is a 'fraidy cat.

lilypi is offline Senior Member

DefaultMaddox is a 'fraidy cat.

Maddox had his first play date today, with a pair of lab/beagle mixes - Toby and Lucy. Toby is full grown and about half Maddox's size, and Lucy is still a pup and is MAYBE a third of his size. The initial meet n greet butt sniffing and yard exploring went well, but when it came time to play it was obvious that Maddox was scared of both of them, but truly TERRIFIED of Lucy. Maddox is a ball fetching fool, he wouldn't even follow the ball with the other two, he stayed with my girlfriend and I. He would get in to fetching if the other two were occupied elsewhere. At one point he was mid fetch, bringing the ball back to me, when Lucy started trotting in his direction. He dropped the ball and ran to me. I decided it was time to go when he started hiding BEHIND me when Toby and Lucy came near. I felt so badly!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Maybe he is just not comfortable. My lab Tank will sniff dogs but will not play with them. Bentley my yellow lab only has certain dogs he likes. Little dogs he runs scared of. While the other day he hada play date with my cousins american pit bull terrier adn their neighbors cur and he ran and ranthen jumped into their pond,lol. He is cared at first then comes out. If I remember right Maddox is a pund puppy right? Both my dogs are rescue and they are still working around soem of their shyness. Tank was very aggressive to men and other dogs and now he is fine with certain dogs/people(depends on gender). SO give him a little time. He may just be more of a people dog thena dog's dog
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

Aww poor guy. Sometimes it takes a few visits to make friends.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

You may find that his personality changes a bit as he becomes more adjusted. We rescued a bulldog cross in february, and I think until they've fully adjusted (I'd say give it a good month or two, longer for some dogs) you don't really see all their "true colors". Despite that sounding negative, most of the time it's not because rescue dogs will build confidence as they adjust and bond with you. I think in your other thread you mentioned some anxiety issues, which would indicate a lack of confidence.

Our bulldog had the same issues with anxiety and I can tell you they've gotten MUCH better as he's adjusted and hopefully realized he's not going anywhere, he's home to stay.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

Maybe in couple more playdates he will get used to or he is not into playing with other doggies. My Magenta was like that she only like dogs that wouldn't show to much excitement. If they were hipper she would hide behind us or lay down and refuse to play around. Her best friend was my neighbors boxer Oscar they were like boyfriend and girlfriend. It was very cute to look at them play but at the dog park she refused to play with other dogs.
    ~Roxy~

lilypi is offline Senior Member

Apparently, my poor baby was terrorized by a pug in his previous home. Maybe this contributed to his anxiety. We'll keep trying slow and steady!