Need help with a behavoral problem

Thread: Need help with a behavoral problem

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed help with a behavoral problem

I am having what I'm pretty sure is a behavoral problem with Emilu. As you know, we added 2 young cats to our family about 6 weeks ago. They are doing very well, and all dogs and cats get along. But Emilu has now peed in the basement 3 times since the cats have been here (cats eat and spend alot of time in the basement) Emilu is 6 years old, and does have a little history of peeing in the house when upset by other animals being here (not for a few years though) I will have her checked for a bladder infection, and diabetes (she was drinking alot of water at class last night, so now I'm paranoid). She tends to pee on the old dog beds that are in the basement, and once she peed near a litter box. Any suggestions if this turns out to be "acting out" behavior? (which I think it is)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

This behavior may be instinctive territory marking; don't assume that it's a behavior problem because she's upset. Unless you catch her in the act, you can't expect to correct her. You can baby gate off the basement, and if that doesn't help, I would keep the cats in the basement and dogs upstairs.
    If it were up to me, Emilou always comes first, but she has a special place in my heart because she's so pretty and reminds me so much of Judy.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

simplest solution would be to block her access to the basement with a baby gate (leaving a gap at the bottom for the cats). My guess is she's reacting to the cats toileting inside.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Did you actually see her pee? I am only asking because I thought I had the same problem with Saba when my sister moved in with her cat for a bit. He kept peeing in the same few spots constantly when we weren't home. Turns out, by sheer accident, we noted one time that it was the cat doing it (now she did have behavioural problems).
    And poor pup got blamed.
    Just a thought.

It would be ALOT of pee for a 5 month old cat. I can't be really sure that it's not Skippy - but I'm 99.9999% sure it's Emilu. Acutally , I just dipsticked her urine (I work in a hospital) and it showed very postitive for blood and protein - so most likely she has a urinary tract infection, which would predispose her to pee in inappropriate places. Will need to check with the vet.

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Hopefully it's just the infection and she'll stop doing it when it clears up.
    Otherwise I would try to keep her out of the basement unless you're there with her for a while.

I had 2 concerns about keeping the dogs out of the basement. One was that if it is a marking, territorial type of thing, that she might decide to mark upstairs on the carpet, etc, which would be harder to clean up and not solve the problem anyways, and two, we let the basement door open a little so the dogs can go donwstairs in case they are sick and really "need to go" - they have used the basement to for diarrhea on occassion - and it is much easier to clean up in the basement than up in the house. I also don't want to keep the cats shut up in the basement - they're almost 6 months old and deserve to live up here too - we have lived together harmoniously before with 3 cats and the dogs, so I think we can do it again (although come to think of it, Emilu wasn't here with 3 cats - just 1)

justine is offline Senior Member

I hope it's a low grade UTI that will go away easily with some meds.. and I hope that solves the problem!

Have you been noticing that she pees outside in a bunch of different spots? That's one of the first signs of a possible UTI.

I do remember remarking to SU the other day that Emilu was really "marking" the trail alot. Duh!

sloigo is offline Senior Member

What ever it is I hope you get it worked out.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.