Bark park question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bark park question

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultBark park question

We have had Bella going to the same bark park a few times a week. Sometimes it's still daylight other times since the time change it's dark and few if any dogs are there. We kept her separated in a different play area from the other dogs for a few weeks while still healing from her spay.
    Well Bella is about 50 lbs and 5 months old. She usually plays well with the other dogs, most of which are bigger and much older then her. But tonight another female collie/lab mix kept biting her. At first we thought she was just letting Bella know her place as this dog is 5 yrs. old. But it didn't stop and Bella would cry out and the dog would just charge her and bite her again and again. Bella would submit and roll over but it didn't stop the other dog. Bella would get up and run and this dog would run after her and do it again.
    The owners of the dog did nothing but tell us that their dog is usually not this aggressive. So we took Bella out further into the sand area and played ball until they left. So we are wondering is this normal behavior for a dog to treat a puppy like this. As I said she has played fine with other dogs of all shapes and sizes even huge dogs. I thought at first that I was being too much of a mommy, but my husband even wondered why they didn't stop their dog with a correction. Or is it us, that should have done something different?
    I want the bark park to be a great time for Bella, but today it sure didn't seem that way.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

greg is offline Senior Member

your husband is right.the owners of the agressive dog should have put a stop to their dogs behavior.if it happens again warn them to control their dog.and if they refues report them to animal control.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    your husband is right.the owners of the agressive dog should have put a stop to their dogs behavior.if it happens again warn them to control their dog.and if they refues report them to animal control.
    i agree with this. I would have also hard firm words with the owners of the other dog .. it was their dog with the problem, they should have removed their dog not you have to move away.
    Dog parks can be hard because of these situations and bad owners who do not control their dogs can make it a very unpleasant experience.

Sorry Bella was subjected to this. I hope she wasn't hurt.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the world that we share with non thinking individuals !

A few find their way into the dog parks !

patm is offline Senior Member

And if the owner of the other dog didn't stop it pretty quickly, you needed to stop it - sounds like probably a little sooner than you did. I know it probably takes a little while to figure out if you need to intervene, but you describe the other dog as "biting your dog again and again" - that's too much!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    It happens. Follow Greg's advice. Sometimes it really halps in establishing friendships between the owners and the dogs. Some people just don't know.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

And if the owner of the other dog didn't stop it pretty quickly, you needed to stop it
    I would define "pretty quickly" as about 5 seconds. Remember, Bella depends on you to protect her.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Aggression should never be tolerated by anyone using a dog park. Even if the owners of that dog said she was not normally aggressive she was being aggressive to your dog.

For some reason females are often intolerant of other females in their area. Duke and Freckles love visiting and playing with my brother's female Lab in New Orleans and the same with my other brother's female mix in Baton Rouge. One Christmas my New Orleans brother brought his dog to Baton Rouge for the day and the two females immediately attacked each other.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

That behavior is exactly why we avoid the dog/bark park when some specific dogs and owners are there. Hubby nor I will put up with bad behavior from dogs or owners. Your first priority is Bella and her safety. You don't know the other dog well or at all. Bella is a puppy and you don't want her to be afraid of being hurt while playing with other dogs.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

justine is offline Senior Member

Please trust me from experience, don't let your girl be subjected to that. Abbey got attacked at the dog park and the dog had her by her scruff, thrashing her around. I broke it up and got bit very badly.

I would have said something to that owner to A) get their dog off of my dog and B) leave and don't come back. Sorry, but it's not fair to everyone else. Abbey is now afraid of most dogs, especially in multiples. The damage was done and we can now no longer go to any dog parks.. don't let it happen to your girl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast