here's Maddox!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: here's Maddox!

lilypi is offline Senior Member

Defaulthere's Maddox!

Maddox came home on Monday night, and we are soooooo happy. He's definitely going through some adjustment anxiety, but that's definitely to be expected. My hubby has been taking him to work with him, which I think is nice for him. The poor guy was a whiny mess on day one whenever hubby would leave him alone, but it's been decreasing daily. We live in a nicely wooded area, and the neighbors are not on top of us, but the next door neighbors' property passes closely by the house and he tells us that when Maddox IS alone, he howls and barks the whole time. I'm going to pick up some kong treat toys in an effort to help, but I'd welcome other suggestions. He's never been crate trained, and he's not even remotely destructive, so I don't know how helpful that would be for a 5 year old. Hubby thinks he needs a "friend", which I'm totally on board with, but not for a few months at least. As far as training goes, Maddox needs some brushing up, but he's got his basic commands down pretty well. He's testing limits, but is redirectable, and I think that he'll come around as he gets used to us. One fear that I have is that he may be over-exerting himself. This poor boy was pretty much never exercised, but since he's come to us he's a fetch playing machine....he plays to the point where his huffing and puffing make me nervous, but when i try to stop he's dying for more. He does take breaks, but for maybe a minute before he wants more. Should I trust him to know when enough is enough? I worry that because he never got to play, he's thinks it may be the last time and won't stop. I am also known to overanalyze hahahaha. Anyway, on to the pictures!

this is the night that he came home

pooped after an hour of fetch

conked out after a long day of carpentry

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

He is very handsome. My younger lab would fetch till she drops. I quit when I see she is looking hot & tired. There is no set time....alot depends on the weather. I don't train or play long when it is hot & humid.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and Maddox. He sounds like a wonderful dog. Given a little more time, he will adjust to his new family and home.
    Last edited by mitziandjudysmom; 07-18-2011 at 04:03 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

He is adorable!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

What a handsome boy!

You will definitely have to set the limits for his play time, and he will learn that there will always be another time. Teach him a word or phrase, like "rest now," or "time to stop," so he learns that is when fetch is done for a while. Some dogs will fetch until they collapse, so you have monitor him.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

lilypi is offline Senior Member

he sure is handsome, huh? I've been telling him "chill out" and then giving the lay down command, with an occasional stay thrown in if he's still over eager. we're also working on teaching him that play is on our time, not his, because the minute we walk in the house it's a demand to go outside and play. he really is such a good boy....doesn't jump, doesn't bark (when we're home), is great with kids. i'm in looooove.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

He's a handsome boy. Congratulations!

Bella

bett is offline Senior Member

sweet

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I can see why you are in love with him. Such a sweet boy and so handsome!!!

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

He is a very handsome boy. Welcome to your new home, Maddox!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast