Have a New Question?

Thread: Have a New Question?

2whitelabs is offline Member

LightbulbHave a New Question?

Thanks to all regarding "Dog Pool" I've been doing some more reading up on raising 2 pups (especially from same litter) oppose to raising 1 pup. The majority has said NOT a good idea to get 2 pups at one time.
    Thank you all for pointing this out to me.
    My questions is....I've found a litter of Lab pups at a shelter here in SC. The pups are adorable. They are about 14 weeks old now. I am now thinking of only getting one now. How can I find out of this puppy is healthy as far as his hips, eyes, elbows etc. I perfer getting a pet from a shelter vs a breeder.

Thanks for any advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

While a vet can clear eyes now, the hips and elbows are not something you can evaluate on a puppy.

What you can do is raise a puppy with care (not overexercising or putting undue stress on joints) and proper feeding (not too much calcium), maintaining correct weight and neutering after the dog is fully grown. Those things can help you to minimize minor joint issues.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thank-you Sharon,
    Another ?, If I decide to get a puppy, should I keep it in our large screen porch while we are at work for a few days til he/she get acquated with our 11 yo male lab? And then at night, our 11 yo lab sleeps on the foot of our bed but don't want to teach puppy to do that. Should I keep her in a crate beside my bed at night time?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

I would most definitely crate train. Puppy should be in the crate when you are not home for its safety, and the safety of your house!
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

A regular vet cannot clear eyes. They can basically do a basic basic exam, but to do the exam that breeders do, you need a canine opthamalogist. You won't have access to this before you bring the puppy home. You also won't know if the puppy has the genes for PRA, EIC, CNM, etc.

The best you can do is get the pup and raise it the best you can and keep your fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, you can't have both....a puppy where you know that the parents were screened for the typical health problems that plague labs or rescue. But taking on the risk regarding health is always worth it when you think about saving an animals.

Leave puppy in crate all day while we are not home? Talking 10 hours....Is this correct?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

10 hours in a crate with no break is too long for a puppy. But the porch is a bad idea as well, there will be accidents all over delaying house breaking and so many possibilities for the puppy to get in trouble (harm himself and/or your property).

Can you or someone else come home to let the puppy out? Possibly twice in the 10 hours at first then once a day for awhile.

I hate to say this but if that is impossible (or even hire a dog walker) it is possible this is not a good time for you to get a puppy.

If you want a puppy from parents with clearances you need to find a breeder that does this and is reputable. That comes with a price as all those tests at costly, as is breeding core toy. With a rescue there are no guaranties so just raise them properly and keep them healthy.

This may have been covered in another thread but there is no such thing as a white lab. They ate yellow, which ranges Tom ver light, nearly whitish to dark yellow (also known as fox red)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

dweck is offline Senior Member

Rule of thumb for crate-time: One hour of time in per month of pup. So a 14-week old should be left in a crate no more than 3.5 hrs at a time.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Thank-you all for all your in-put. I will think through it before getting my next puppy.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    While a vet can clear eyes now, the hips and elbows are not something you can evaluate on a puppy.

What you can do is raise a puppy with care (not overexercising or putting undue stress on joints) and proper feeding (not too much calcium), maintaining correct weight and neutering after the dog is fully grown. Those things can help you to minimize minor joint issues.
    This.

Even the best breeder can have oopsies and not know so any dog I have is treated as Sharon says. Ernie is from one of N.Z. well known show breeders and has severe joint issues. He was born with it and his previous owners didn't give the correct care as a pup.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/