corn cob warning
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: corn cob warning

  1. #1
    Laceezmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    146

    Defaultcorn cob warning

    I got this information from a breeder I visited last fall, she says:


    We have had a recent tragedy that I want to share with you in hopes of preventing it happening to another dog. Corn cobs can be very dangerous to a dog if eaten. They are not toxic, they just don't break down in the stomach, causing blockages in the intestines. According to the Vet that did the post mortem on Cole Porter, (only 4 yrs old) it was 3" long and had been there for quite sometime. The Vet also said they can stay in the intestines for a year! Cole had no symptoms until the day he died! Be very careful to dispose of all corn cobs where your or any dogs cannot get them. One of my daughter's dogs also ate a corn cob and became very sick but she caught it in time. It did take months to completely pass the whole cob.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MikeE's Avatar
    MikeE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kent, Ohio
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up! I use feeder corn on the cob in the Winter and have sometimes seen pieces of the cob in their waste.

  4. #3
    Belles mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,543

    Default

    Ya, I know several people who have had to had surgery on their dogs because of corn cobs.


    Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    Not something I'd ever let my dogs have and I am always careful to dispose of cobs carefully - but worth posting here again!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  7. #5
    HersheyK's Dad's Avatar
    HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    10,307

    Default

    The cautions provided are 100%. For anyone that is determined to give their dogs corn cobs, cut them into 1 inch lengths, and then quarter them. Not exactly a chew treat, but at least they will be able to pass them. In general though, it is just not worth the risk.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

  8. #6
    Mary Jane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,137

    Default

    I did not know any of this. Thank you so much for posting it. Poor Mya will not EVER be getting anymore sweetcorn on the cob.
    I swear, I learn something here every day.
    Can I be that stupid or is there just THAT much to know? Wait......don't answer that!!!!!

  9. #7
    talleyJudy's Avatar
    talleyJudy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Can I be that stupid or is there just THAT much to know?
    I am going to answer that. Seriously, there IS just THAT much to know!!

    And you are not stupid if you go through life willingly and eagerly learning about these 'new things'.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

    Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

  10. #8
    silverbyrd21's Avatar
    silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norfolk Virginia
    Posts
    447

    Default

    I never would have though to give my dog a corn cob! good to know. I will keep that bit of caution in the back of my head.
    Rachel mama to,

    Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

  11. #9
    MandyGirl's Avatar
    MandyGirl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Mandy was sneaky last summer and got into the pile of husk at a corn boil. The husk should really be included in that advisory. It took her days to pass the husk and....lets just say it was like the long grass coming out - for days. Fun! Thankfully that was the only problem. I will certainly be more aware in the future. Why do dogs have to eat everything!??!

    Melissa; mommy to Mitchell and fur baby Mandy

Similar Threads

  1. Corn on the cob:)
    By lisa in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
  2. corn cob?
    By tinymusic in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM
  3. Corn on the Cob
    By putertutor in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 03:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25