Good with children?

Thread: Good with children?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultGood with children?

Yesterday I decided to let the dogs be part of a party I held at home and relax and let them be. (I usually leave them out because they jump on people, steal food and generally behave like total smartpants).

My dogs didn´t grow out with kids, just the occasional family reunion with my nephews and nieces, of which my nieces are a pain because they are terrified of dogs and I can´t let the dogs say hi (I actually stopped taking the dogs with me to my parents´ because of them)

One of my friends (the owner of the German Pointer and he also has a Boxer) has a 7 mo. old baby, Lander. And since his wife is already used to "large" over-friendly dogs, I left the dogs inside the house.

Misha and Homer passed the baby test with honors... I was surprised how good they were. Of course they have to come and say hi, and tried to lick the little human, but after the initial salute, they were perfect. No jumping, they watched the baby calmly, baby was laughing and playing and "screeching" and making noises to them in excitement, yet they both were very gentle with the baby, laying down and watching and just popping their noses from time to time.

I already knew they are awesome with older children, but WOW they were great with the baby too.

I took a couple pics but unfortunately trying to get both a baby and a dog at the same time to stay still is impossible...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good job to your dogs!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

That's great! I too am wondering how Dio will be with kids. He's good with our neighbour's daughter, who is 2. She "throws" the ball (like 2 feet) and he fetches it for her. Rinse, repeat for about 10 minutes. He doesn't get too close to her, but he likes to watch her.

I'm going to talk to our pastor's sons and see if we could have a picnic at the lake with Dio and their kids to get him used to them. The kids range from 18 months to 10 years old, girls and boys.Lots of variety! He was with them as a pup. but it's been two years. It's difficult when none of your friends or family has kids!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Glad they were good dogs

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

Good Job Misha and Homer!!! Glad everything went so well!

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Good dogs!
    I think the vast majority of dogs are good with babies. They just instinctively know.

Bella

At least now I know that if I have a bay at some point in my life I won´t have to worry about them. They will actually be the baby´s nannies LOL

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

Good job Misha and Homer...I hope that my Roxy behave some day like that. As now she behave really good with us but when we take her outside in front of the house she is like wild horse jumping and pulling :/ We are doing puppy training in 2 weeks.
    ~Roxy~

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
    At least now I know that if I have a bay at some point in my life I won´t have to worry about them. They will actually be the baby´s nannies LOL
    Ofcourse they are great with little childeren or baby's, but you just have to watch out for the signs youre dog give to you .. There's a grammar school in the neighbourhood, and Laika loves the attention from all the kids she can get .. But, if it's getting to much, she just want to walk a away, and that last thing she shows it to me

Oh yes definitely. You should always read them for signs of getting annoyed from excessive petting or overwhelming number of kids...

With kids its a matter of "I trust" the dog but I don´t trust the kid... so one should always supervise the interactions closely. Years ago my nephew (who has Asperger´s) bit my sister in law´s sister´s beagle. They blamed the dog, but when I told them it was my SIL´s fault for leaving my nephew unnatended with the dog they got angry with me. My nephew was being rude with the poor beagle and bit him. Of course the beagle bit him back...