Puff's internal timer -- sometimes correct, sometimes not

Thread: Puff's internal timer -- sometimes correct, sometimes not

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuff's internal timer -- sometimes correct, sometimes not

When we changed last Sunday from Daylight to Standard time (falling back 1 hour), I thought Puff would adapt by this Friday. She showed this morning she's already re-set her internal clock.

My digital clock radio comes on at 5 AM, dial always set to FM 91.5, the U of Kans NPR/Nat'l Public Radio station, where I've long volunteered and know most staff.

When it comes on, I half listen, half doze, until it's 6:30 AM and then get up and dressed to take Puff out for her 40 minute offleash "walk"/retrieving in the nature preserve. At least that's the planned schedule -- sometimes I've overslept.

This morning, I was doing the half listen, half doze bit when I felt Puff, lying next to me, get to her feet and walk softly up to near my head and gently, repeatedly, lick my exposed left ear.

I squinted at the clock radio to see the time and the digital display read 6:28!! I congratulated Puff, gave her some hugs and pats and got up and dressed.

After our walk, I change clothes for my 3 mornings/week exercise class at a local "Y". The layout of this building, streets, exercise room & windows are such that I can usually parallel park the car so I'm at the same level (inside) as my car (outside) and only 60 ft/20 m. away. Puff goes with me when it's not too hot or cold and waits in the car, always with water to drink. I'm gone for about 70 minutes and we've been doing this for a couple years.

From my exercising position, I can see my car clearly but, because the outside of the Y's windows are somewhat mirrored, Puff can't see in.

Usually, she naps in the back seat and gets up for a minute or so maybe 4-5 times to look out the rear window toward the place she last saw me go and from which she expects I'll return.

This morning her napping/scouting sequences got reversed.

She spent most of my exercise time with her front feet planted on the reclined seat back of the passenger seat, looking through our car's rear window, as if that might bring me back sooner. Then she'd very briefly lie down, not even long enough to nap, before starting her vigilant scanning again.

Strange!

She's only accompanied to the Y a few hundred times, always for a similar 70 minutes.

I'll have to see if she has any other surprises for me today in her bag.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 11-05-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: rewrite to clarify one phrase
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

greg is offline Senior Member

Jack's and Puffs clock are both off,we get up at 5am ,so monaday he was ready to go at 3:45am.it was a killer day.and instead of turning in at 10pm he was ready at 8:30pm.his morning clock finally clicked in yesterday but by sunset he is trough with the day.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly & Abby have adjusted to the time change but Kate , being a puppy, hasn't. A few times this week we heard her stirring at 4 a.m. and by 7 p.m. she is ready to go to bed. Hopefully she will get in the routine soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SweetSasafrassy is offline Senior Member

Saff is still not quite switched over yet either, but man we are on a much lazy-er schedule than you guys! Saffers was in bed last night at 10:30... I was watching my movie. And then this morning she got up just fine at 7:20 but proceeded to nap thru my shower & while I made breakfast. We are operating on Spring time as long as possible.
    Lauren the one who buys Saffy's Kibble

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK was and is fine with the mornings, but her dinner feed is never early enough and this extra hour is beyond her ability to comprehend. It has been pure torture finding things to distract her from her mission of getting me to feed her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Try a convincing a 1 year old human that its not time to wake up...yeah its been rough in our household as well! Koko knows when she hears lil one crying on monitor that mom is going to get up and take her out first! So I have no snooze button!!!
    Katie adopted by koko

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff's mealtimes have apparently also made the switch to Standard time.

Her supper is nominally at 5 PM although sometimes it gets delayed 15 minutes up to an hour.

Tonight I was typing on the computer when I started getting nose nudgies, licks, tail wagging, and a dog's head between my eye balls and the computer screen.

I glanced at my watch and -- OMG -- it was 5:02 PM!

Sweet girl!

I saved my work and fixed her supper.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748