How to transition two brothers to be apart..

Thread: How to transition two brothers to be apart..

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to transition two brothers to be apart..

We just got back from 10 days out of province camping and visiting with family. Our dogs, Hunter and chrome (almost 2 years old) came along and the vacation turned into quite the adventure. We took them swimming at a local lake, with their life jackets on they swam half way accross the lake. chrome came back but Hunter sat out there swimming in circles not sure how to get back to shore. My bf went and rescued him on his little fishing raft.
    Hunter managed to get out of the yard at my parents at a few times thanks to my forgetful mother.
    We took them on lots of walks, near the end of the holiday Hunter freaked out when he saw a couple dogs come out of a store and he lunged and went to nip at the other dog. The other owners were understanding but that was an eye opening experience for us. Hunter has never been a great walker but we are working on it with a trainer. He has never gone to nip at another dog ever. He loves to play with other dogs and is great at the dog park and at daycare in the past. We are going to see our trainer this week in hopes to understand fully what went wrong.

We are going camping in a couple weeks for 10 days and our friends are going to babysit Hunter during the time. Our friends have another lab Hunter's age and they are the best of friends. We are planning on bringing Chrome with us. They have been apart before but Hunter has never been away from us and his brother for that long of time. Any ideas on how to transition him? We are going to send his bedding, toys etc. We wanted to kennel them together at our breeders but she is unable to do it. Hunter is definitly not ready to go camping again for that long of a time, he needs more training.
    Hunter & Chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Maybe you could have him go over to your friends house for 2 nights and see how he does.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

If possible, I would take him over to your friends, and then let him stay there for short visits a few times. Increase the time of the visits each time. Then maybe an overnighter. I might help him to adjust a bit easier, and also he will know that your coming back..because you have left him there before and returned to get him. Good Luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

They should be fine apart. Have you trained the dogs to be apart at all like taking one on car rides, leaving the other at home? If not, you need to do that as part of daily training.

They have spent time apart numerous times. I try to seperate them for short periods of time on a daily basis and actually most of the time they get walked individually without the other one. He has spent several hours at our friends before and has been fine. Hunter loves his lab friend Ralph who is staying with and he spent lots of time with Ralph's owners. My only worry is how much mischief he is going to get into. We are going to bring over his favorite crate for night times so he some routine in his day.
    Hunter & Chrome

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not overthink this. He'll be just fine. He'll probably be a little out of sorts intially, but if your friends are experienced dog people, I would expect they would be able to handle that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I would not overthink this. He'll be just fine. He'll probably be a little out of sorts intially, but if your friends are experienced dog people, I would expect they would be able to handle that.
    I agree with this. I honestly can't think of anything to recommend other than what you have already done. He knows them, and the boys have been seperated now and hten. He may have some issues at bed time if he has always gone to sleep near his brother but he shoudl bounce back. In the end it may be a good experience for both boys. He will be a with a friend to boot which will help ALOT.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I separate mine for 15 days when Misha is in heat. It´s usually Misha that leaves because she´s a bit more independent and she stays at a friend´s home with his Lab (she´s an old Lab that Misha thinks as her mother). Homer tends to get more anxious at my friend´s home so he stays with Papa at home.

From what he tells me Misha is fine at his home. She plays with my friends dogs and gets along very well with a Westie that belongs to his daughter. Homer does get a little depressed on his own at my home when I leave for work, but then he gets all my attention.

They will be fine. But I would consider taking her with you. That´s the only way he´ll get used to it.

thanks everyone! I am not overly worried about it anymore. Hunter and I went over to our friends this week for a few hours and he didn't even notice Chrome wasn't there. We are going to send Hunter to daycare with his lab friend 4 out of the days we are gone. He used to go the day care with Ralph before.
    I'm sure I will miss Hunter more than he will miss us. I am going to send his cozy crate for bed time to keep consistency.
    Hunter & Chrome

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Yup, I agree with this. I have had a lot of similar situations with dogs I board. No problem at all.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)