Giving puppy away
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving puppy away

DefaultGiving puppy away

On Monday I gave away my chocolate lab puppy She is 7 months old. I gave her to a friend of a friend. The family is very nice and have already sent me updates about her. I miss her terribly and and starting to think I made the wrong decision. The reason I gave her up was because of her energy level...I felt I just couldn't keep up with her. I live in a condo, but I took her on long daily walks/runs. I live alone and it was hard to manage having a puppy. I think back and think this is a bad reason to give up my dog who I love so much. As with all labs she is high energy, much more than I had anticipated when I got her. Now that she is not here all I do is cry because I miss her. She was such a loving dog and I miss her following me around the house. I never thought I'd be as upset as I actually am about my decision.

I feel like I want her back, but don't know if it would be possible to even get her back and then I would feel bad for taking her from the family.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Living alone. In a condo. Forgive my bluntness, but I'm surprised a breeder would allow you the pup in the first place....

I think you've done the right thing in surrendering. Wait 'til your environment and home life are more dog-friendly and try again.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Don't feed the troll!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

How do you know it's a troll?
    I live in a condo. Alone. One bedroom. Not very big. Guess what. It works out if you want it to - lots of exercise, long walks and attention. Having a house vs condo is a pointless argument - some people have a house and all they do is let the dogs out on the backyard and never them them for walks, now that's pure laziness. So I don't think condo living is the point here.
    It's all about committment.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you have to go through the pain of missing your your pup and doubting your good intentions for her. I'm sure you did not make the decision to re-home her lightly. Trust you original judgment that you did the right thing for her and in her best interest.

In the meantime, to fill your weekends and leisure time, you might think about volunteering at your local shelter in order to help the dogs there that are not as fortunate in having a loving home as your pup now has. And one never knows, but the perfect low energy dog, that steals your heart, may come along sometime.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dan (dweck) ABOUT THIS :
    I think you've done the right thing in surrendering. Wait 'til your environment and home life are more dog-friendly and try again.
    I'm sorry you're hurting though. The family sounds good for her, and it's great that they are sending you updates. Is it possible for you to visit her on a regular basis?

(We can't assume everyone is a troll, then we wouldn't be able to help newcomers. )

Last edited by jzgrlduff; 11-06-2009 at 09:20 AM.
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    Living alone. In a condo. Forgive my bluntness, but I'm surprised a breeder would allow you the pup in the first place....
    Geesh, according to you, I shouldn't be allowed to have Derby due to the fact that I live alone in a 1 bedroom apartment, 683 sq feet.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

what's a troll?

Melissa is offline Senior Member

I don't see what being single and living in a condo has to do with it. Are we not always posting 'get her/him!' when Lindsay sees the cute shelter pups? She lives alone and in an apartment.

Don't try to get the dog back. You miss her, but she will not have changed. Everything that made you rehome her will still be there when you bring her back. I think you've just learned the lesson that an active, hyper lab puppy is not for you. Thankfully you found her a new, loving home. Too many people learn that lesson and the dog suffers for it.
    Last edited by Melissa; 11-05-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    I live alone, in a one bedroom home. I have three dogs. Why would this be a reason NOT to have a dog?

If you gave her away, I'm sure you did it for unselfish reasons. I know you miss her, but its about what is best for her.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast