Walking your lab.. what do you use? Collor, halti..etc?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking your lab.. what do you use? Collor, halti..etc?

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

DefaultWalking your lab.. what do you use? Collor, halti..etc?

I have been walking with Titus everyday in the yard on leash, training the heal command. With him being my first Lab, he seems to pull a bit more than my danes did as pups when I was training then. I have just been using a plain old collar, but was thinking about a choke ( for training purposes ONLY), but was wondering if maybe with labs a harness or halti would work better? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

At his age? Buckle collar only.

And I wouldn't be going for a proper heel at this age. Consider it enough if this baby gets the concept of walking along side you w/any collar/leach combo at all, much less in heel position.

When he gets older and brawnier and the pulling develops into an issue, THEN I'd start worrying about collars and more formal training etc.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

i wasnt expecting him to heal proper..but he does need to learn not to pull. My goal is to make sure that pulling doesnt get to be an "issue" when he is older and brawnier..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I asked about the differnt collar/harnesses that others use, because I want for him to get used to what hes wearing at a young age. So if lets say, a harness works better, then I would start him on a harness now, rather than at 16 weeks.

deidra is offline Senior Member

when he starts to pull turn and go in the other direction. It will take a long time so I understand if you do not like that suggestion but now Tank does not pull so bad.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

dweck is offline Senior Member

If he pulls, stop dead. Remind him not to pull. Set forth again. If he pulls, stop dead. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or as Deidre suggested, happily walk in the other direction and have him follow.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

yup, what Deidra & Dan said.
    wish I had done that earlier w/my puller. Once I started those techniques, walking became a lot easier.

If he pulls to try to sniff something, stop, go back to where the pulling began and have him walk to the area.
    Keep doing this, consistently, and he will learn that in order to get somewhere, he needs to walk nicely.

good luck. remember, patience, consistency, repetition. : )
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I use a flat collar, and we did a lot of "practicing" in the yard and in the house when he was very little. If he got in front of me, I would stop. I tethered him to me in the house pretty often and let him follow along while I was cleaning up. I would change direction, stop and start a lot. He had no choice but to follow. It worked really well for us. Head collars, harnesses, choke collars, etc. are fine for dogs that do pull, but they don't teach the dog to heel. I would continue working with him around the house/yard with a flat collar and leash.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I think you are trying to run when you first have to walk. Your puppy is too young and puppies have the attention span of a gnat.

At this point what you should be doing is just puting a simple collar and leash on him, grab a bunch of kibble and keep his attention with the kibble, i.e. if he tries to pull in a different direction just stop and when he comes back, give him a prize, then try walking and if he follows (which if he knows by now you have food he will) then you give another...

Don´t expect too much of him at this age. Great Danes are a lot calmer than labs ( I actually don´t remember my Dane ever pulling me on the leash, she was always very good walking besides me)

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

We use a harness with Duke ( 1 1/2) because he pulls and is strong. It works really well for him, though he still pulls some, he is much easier to control. I would highly recommend a harness, but maybe not as young as Titus's age. We just started using Duke's a couple of months ago. Paisley (20 weeks) does not pull at all yet, but we will more than likely get a her a harness as well when she is older. We just use a buckle collar and leash with her now.

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast