help aggressive lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help aggressive lab

marley1968 is offline Junior Member

Defaulthelp aggressive lab

Wow, I have had my puppy for almost 2wks now, and he is 11wks old. I have had many breeds of dogs but went to a lab because they are known to be family dogs, and all aroung great dog right? At first the puppy was pretty typical, nipping and biting, but he is now adding growling and pressure with his bite, and is lashing out like at your face if you get close, sometimes when he is doing this i will pick him up after telling him no and put him outside, he will wiggle like crazy, trying to bite and growl in my arms. Any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I think he is not being agressive but being a lab puppy. They are nippers but yes if trained they can make great family pets. I would not get in his face give him his space. How would you like it if I got right up into your face? You would punch me or tell me to get away freak( that would be you telling me I did not call you a freak)! Do not ever turn him on his back and pin him to the ground he is not a wolf pup. no seems to be used to often Say ah or no and put him in his crate for few minutes and keep reapting. He will soon get it but it will take awhile. Did you do anything the first time he nipped you? If not he is now thinking I can get away with anything.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

At 11 weeks old I wouldn't call him aggressive, he is being a typical puppy. Continue with the corrections & reinforce that growling, nipping & biting is NOT acceptable behavior. There will be stages in his development, where he is going to test you. It is critical not to give in, even when he is pushing your buttons.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

+1000!

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

He is still very much a baby. He most likely not being aggressive, just playing. At what age did you get him? Sometimes that matters because if he left his littermates at a young age, he didnt learn that biting hurts. Reguardless, you need to teach him that. When he nips..yell ouch really LOUD, and then tell him NO BITE! Give him something that he is ALLOWED to bite, such as a stuffy or a chewy. Repeat EVERY time he bites/nips. And as Deidra said..dont get right up in his face. It just takes some training and a LOT of paitience, he will get it.

When He lashed out at my face is at a time where everything was mellow, is bent down to give him affection. Yes, I tell hi no, easy and he continues, and at times he is so sweet.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

^ THISSSSS
    Patience.... He's just geing a puppy. When he nips or bites YELP REALLY LOUD and then say NO BITE and walk away for a minute. Then come back and give him a toy to play with. REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT.

Mine did the same thing, now I could stick my hand/arm in his mouth and he just looks at me. They live moment to moment. It has to be consistant too. So make sure everyone in your family/ friends do the same thing when they play with your pup.
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Thanks, I guess it was misunderstood, when he lashed out at my face, I was bending down to give him affection, there had been no discipline, I got him 2wks ago age 8wks, he lived outside with 5 other pups, and 4 grown dogs that were pinned up.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

A puppy has no clue unless you train it. They don't magically know not to bite or that they should WANT affection from you.

When you buy a pup from a breeder that keeps their puppies with 4 grown dogs in a pen (penned up), you are probably not getting a pup from a breeder that cares a lick about the temperament of the dog. Oh well.

But now you have to train it to be a good house member.

Enroll in class and work with the pup.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Yes, Yes, Yes -- TRAIN the dog. Don't simply dump him outside.

He's got to learn what's acceptable in the house and in dealing w/you and what is not. PRAISE the good stuff. FIX the bad stuff.

Offer alternative behavior: BITING me is not allowed, Mr Puppyboy. But KISSING me IS allowed. So repeat: No biting! Kissy. And when you get a kiss, praise it: Good kiss. Nice boy. And when you get the Snarly-Charlie's, FIX IT: Ah-ah. No growling. Quiet down and settle. Good settle. Good boy.

And make sure there are plenty of things around that he CAN chew on safely. So although my pants cuff is off limits, this chewwy toy is perfectly okay for you to gnaw on.

Saying no - no - no to 1000 things a day just gets the dog to shut down and ignore you. TEACH the dog what you want it to do.

SPECIFIC commands get a SPECIFIC response.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast