Titus SWAM today!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titus SWAM today!!

Owned_by_Titus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTitus SWAM today!!

My neighbor and I took our kids ( skin and fur ) to the riverwalk today. She has a chocolate lab a couple months older than Titus ( 5 months I think he is). Anyway, Colt ( nieghbors pup ) loves to swim so we took him down to the water to swim and retrieve his floater. To my surprise, and boy was I surprised, my little Titus went right in after him and started swimming!! No coaxing from me at all. In fact, he scared me because he went in so fast, and the water is really deep there, I thought he would get out too far and not come back..lol. On this past Sunday when we put him in the water he didnt seem to like it at all and now 4 days later he had a blast swimming!! Silly puppy..he should not scare him Mommy like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Some dogs are followers and I think you might have one It is a good thing and a bad thing. He is self essteem might be helped by this though. My uncles GOlden HATED the water. He saw Tank jump i and 2 seconds later Bear was in there to. After that he went in with Tank or even if Tank was out of the water.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

There seems to be a "switch" in dogs for swimming. Some don´t like water or get afraid, but then after trying it, something just click in their brains and suddenly become good swimmers. In the beggining Misha was very wary of water until one day it just "clicked" and she not only started swimming very well, but actually jumping from docks.

Seeing other dogs swim is usually the best way to coax them, its like "hey if he can do it the I CAN DO IT"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

yay Titus!
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

georgie is offline Senior Member

Way to go, Titus.

patm is offline Senior Member

Yeah! Yep- many dogs will follow another dog do something that they would not do by themselves (kinda sounds like kids, doesn't it?) Emilu was taught to swim by her breeder at a very young age, so when I got her at 8 weeks, she was already swimming, and has always loved it. When I brough Baxter home at 8 weeks, he might have been in a kiddie pool at the breeders , but never swimming. The evening I brought him, he literally fell off the dam into our pond - right over his head! I was ready to jump in after him, but he popped up , swam to shore and climbed up the bank! He's been swimming ever since

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

YAY Titus... In a few short weeks I have turned Emmett into a water maniac, but I love it.

Be careful with him going in the river, there are some pretty good currents there, and stay away from it by the train bridge it very dangerous over there....
    Amy

Mely1015 is offline Senior Member

I can't wait to see if my Roxy loves water....yay Titus way to go!!!!
    ~Roxy~

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I would suggest getting a long training lead for him to have on when he is in the water...that way you have something to grab if he is going in too far.
    Hunters use them for recall training...they're called check cords. Made out of poly-nylon, they're long (25 ft, 50 ft) and lightweight, so they float on the water. They don't sink like other leads, so no chance of them getting caught on anything under water.
    They're also great for teaching recall. And they're cheap!!

Poly Check Cord

Forgot to add-Yay Titus!!

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

YAY Titus!!!! Avery did the same thing, I took him once and he put one paw in and said nooooo way! Went to the lake with my aunts lab TIKI and he followed her right in. Now he charges toward the water. Makes you so happy when they're swimming it's too cute
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast