Advice please

Thread: Advice please

maggiesmomm is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice please

My lab Maggie was diagnosed with a tick illness at the vet this week. He put her on an antibiotic, which she started yesterday. Today both of her ears are swollen and itchy. We stopped the medicine and started giving her benedryl. We are assuming it is a reaction to the medicine, I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Her ears are driving her crazy, but she doesn't appear to be in distress or anything. Is this worth a trip to the emergency vet, or just keep treating her with benedryl and keep an eye on her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think seeing the e-vet would depend on how much distress she was in and if she is responding to the benadryl. The other issue is if she is being treated for a tick borne illness, she needs to be on an antibiotic. Your vet will need to know about her reaction.Our younger lab is being treated with doxycycline for Lyme now. If the benadryl isn't making her comfortableI would take her to the vet. Let us know how she is doing.

Thanks Georgie. We'll bring her to her regular vet on Monday and get her switched to a different antibiotic. She was put on doxycycline too, she doesn't have Lyme but it is tick-borne. Its hard to tell if she is in any distress because she is always happy, she is panting but its very humid out. It is hard to just worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

I think I would just watch her unless the tick born disease is really serious and she needs a new med ASAP or if she shows any signs of distress such as breathing difficulities etc.
    Karon and Cinnamon

Thanks again. I broke down and took her. I figured I would be up all night with worry, so this way at least I could sleep. Her ears were huge and very irritated, so she got a shot of cortizone which should start helping more than the benedryl. It was a rough night at the e-vet. A number of animals in crises. Dogs hit by cars, dogs in pain, at least 2 dogs and one cat were euthanized when we were in the waiting room. I left being grateful were were there for only hives and itchy ears.