Looking for Yellow Labrador breeders in New York
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Yellow Labrador breeders in New York

TanyaAD138 is offline Member

DefaultLooking for Yellow Labrador breeders in New York

I am in the early process of researching breeders in our area and so far, i have a strange feeling about almost every one of them that i've spotted on google. I live in the Orange County area of NY and im willing to travel to surrounding states (4hrs travel time TOPS) i also refuse to have a dog flown to me from across the country.

Does anyone know of any reputable breeders around here?? I know you can't just go by a pretty website, I figured word of mouth is probably best.

Oh and i've already checked the shelters ... they're loaded with Pit Bulls and german shepards. NO THANK YOU.

Any info would be very helpful!!!

Thanks!

Tanya

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

if you 're willing to rescue there are several. labs4resue or labrescuect.com come to mind.

Felix is offline Senior Member

A color never may be a issue of picking youre dog ..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

make sure to read up on the health clearances BOTH parents should have before you consider a litter. Hips, elbows, eyes, heart, EIC, CMN (none of these tested thru "vet check ups" and breeder should be happy to show you the clearances. Both parents should be active in some venue (conformation, hunt, field. obedience, etc) and not "the great grandparent was a champion".
    tips from he labrador club of america: Selecting A Puppy - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

You can google for the retriver club in your area and see the breeders listed here (but still do your homework). For example: The Iroquois Labrador Retriever Web Site

I understand not wanting to go thru a shelter but have you considered rescues? They have pure bred labs who live i temporary homes until the right one is found so htey can give you plenty of information on hte dog prior to adoption. I am sure here are lab rescues (or multi-breed rescues wiht labs) in your area.
    Home Page
    Labs4rescue, Inc., "Save a Lab, have a friend for life!"
    Rescue For Life
    OCC: All Retriever Rescue

list of the rescues that are listed under hte Labrador Club (there are very likely many ohers):
    The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

if you are near a border maybe look at rescues here.

ETA: keep in mind that the more requirements you have in color and/or gender, hte longer you may have to wait to find an ethical breeder with a puppy of hte right color AND more imporantly, that is the right fit. there are no problems with wanting what you want, just make sure you don't sacrifice temperment and fit for it. Most good breeders pick the puppy for the family, so if there are a few yellows and none are the right fit you may have to wait for the next litter/find another breeder.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-19-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

labby is offline Senior Member

momofalab is offline Senior Member

There is a Dog Show Thurs - Sat at The Ulster County Fairgrounds. 2 Local Kennel Clubs (Thursday Walkill Kennel Club) Friday Shawangunk Kennel Club will be there. There will be a Lab Supported Entry on Friday Morning, come out and take a look, and ask questions.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    A color never may be a issue of picking youre dog ..
    Color can be a preference. I for one, would never buy a chocolate, even if I liked everything else about the dog, just because I don't care for the color.

Laura

nicole is offline Senior Member

The above links for Forestwood Labradors and Lobuff Labradors would be my first stop! If they don't have anything, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Then in that case.... nor should a breed... Right? You have your preferences, I have mine.

Thanks for the info Tanya!! One thing that i dont get is, why should the parents be show dogs? Im not looking for a show dog and i have ZERO desire to turn my dog into a show dog, so why should the parents have any involvement in shows?? Im not against showing, i just dont understand the logic? =/ and god bless anyone with that sort of time and patience for dog shows!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    make sure to read up on the health clearances BOTH parents should have before you consider a litter. Hips, elbows, eyes, heart, EIC, CMN (none of these tested thru "vet check ups" and breeder should be happy to show you the clearances. Both parents should be active in some venue (conformation, hunt, field. obedience, etc) and not "the great grandparent was a champion".
    tips from he labrador club of america: Selecting A Puppy - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

You can google for the retriver club in your area and see the breeders listed here (but still do your homework). For example: The Iroquois Labrador Retriever Web Site

I understand not wanting to go thru a shelter but have you considered rescues? They have pure bred labs who live i temporary homes until the right one is found so htey can give you plenty of information on hte dog prior to adoption. I am sure here are lab rescues (or multi-breed rescues wiht labs) in your area.
    Home Page
    Labs4rescue, Inc., "Save a Lab, have a friend for life!"
    Rescue For Life
    OCC: All Retriever Rescue

list of the rescues that are listed under hte Labrador Club (there are very likely many ohers):
    The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

if you are near a border maybe look at rescues here.

ETA: keep in mind that the more requirements you have in color and/or gender, hte longer you may have to wait to find an ethical breeder with a puppy of hte right color AND more imporantly, that is the right fit. there are no problems with wanting what you want, just make sure you don't sacrifice temperment and fit for it. Most good breeders pick the puppy for the family, so if there are a few yellows and none are the right fit you may have to wait for the next litter/find another breeder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast